It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Custom Dashboard Template for every new project

Yarden Hameiri (133) | asked Jun 01 '16, 8:49 a.m.
 Hi,
I want to create a dashboard which going to be the default dashboard of every new project.
Is it possible?
Thanks,
Yarden.

3 answers

permanent link
Miguel Tomico (5001323) | answered Jun 06 '16, 7:49 a.m.

Yarden,

You can use the 'Restore Default' button to restore an existing Project/Team dashboard to its Dashboard Template.

This button is disabled by default. You'll need to enable it in the CCM 'Advance Properties'. Search for 'Allow Restore Default'.

Comments
Matt Muller commented Jun 06 '16, 7:58 a.m.

Hi Miguel,

Have you tested at Project and Team Level? very interesting I thought I'd seen something like this before.

Yarden Hameiri commented Jun 06 '16, 8:16 a.m.

Hi Miguel,

This solution will override any changes made in this project if I'm not mistaking.
I'm looking for solution that will add the new dashboard to the project and not override existing data.
Thanks for the help.

Miguel Tomico commented Jun 06 '16, 9:11 a.m. | edited Jun 06 '16, 9:13 a.m.

@mmuller4, yes, we have tested it at both Project and Team level. We use it a lot. When having hundreds of widgets per Project Area, this can save a lot of time and prevent manual errors.

There are some challenges / limitations, like inability to specify parameter values for queries in Dashboard Templates (I raised an ER long time ago), or the visibility of this 'Restore Default' button (anyone having access to edit the dashboard), as it may be seen as risky. Good news is, there is a workaround to recover previous versions of a dashboard https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/DashboardRevisionHistory.

@yardenh1, this button will only replace the Project/Team dashboard you are looking at, which is what you want, right?

The confirmation message you see when clicking it is quite alarming, but it won't modify any work items or other dashboards in the project.

Bear in mind that you can't have more than one dashboard per Project Area / Team Area. You can create as many personal dashboards as you want though.

Yarden Hameiri commented Jun 13 '16, 3:23 a.m.

Thank you Miguel, I will try it.

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813574) | answered Jun 01 '16, 8:59 a.m.

Yarden,

If you are talking about RTC?  you can configure a Project Dashboard and a Team Dashboard within the Project Configuration.

Regards

Matt Muller

Comments
Yarden Hameiri commented Jun 06 '16, 6:38 a.m.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for for reply.
I created a template and configure it according to your suggestion and it works, each project that I crate inherit the dashboard.
But, all the existing projects which inherit from that template stay with the old dashboard and not effected by the new configuration.
How can I get them to recieve the new dashboard?
Thanks,
Yarden.

Matt Muller commented Jun 06 '16, 6:51 a.m.

Hi Yarden,

No prob - I'm not sure what you are asking is possible to push a re-configuration out?

I would norm. copy the configure (tabs etc. then re-configure widgets).

Yarden Hameiri commented Jun 06 '16, 6:54 a.m.

Hi Matt,

Thanks again for the quick reply.
Let's say I have 100 existing projects which I want them to receive the new dashboard I created. Is it possible or I have to do it manually?

Matt Muller commented Jun 06 '16, 7:06 a.m.

Yarden,

It maybe however I've never investigated / Tested etc.

Someone else may be able to comment or you could raise with your local IBM Consultant.

permanent link
Colin Marshall (11) | answered Jun 14 '16, 9:07 a.m.
 Hi Yarden

You would need to deploy the template manually to each dashboard area you wish for it to be applied to, but the upload process is quite quick - benefit is that the content is more robust and reliable rather than manual changes that could be made by users........I use this method quite a lot and it has saved much time and doubt over content quality knowing it has been generated from a proven template design.

Happy dashboarding!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.