It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why does the Work Item Queries dashboard widget filter dynamic queries?

Andrew Codrington (17733135) | asked Jul 30 '13, 4:49 p.m.
edited Jul 30 '13, 5:16 p.m. by Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431)
In 3.0.1 we had users edit/save/run a static query to search for hits on a specific alphanumeric attribute. It was ugly, but useful.

Now that we're on 4.0.2 I tried changing the query to a dynamic one that prompts users to enter the text fragment they're looking for when they run the query. It works as advertised.

Now that the query is so much easier to use I thought I'd share it with a number of teams so it would appear in the list within the 'Work Item Queries' widget on each of their team dashboards.

It doesn't appear.

I've checked that it is properly shared and it is. I can see it alongside the other Shared Queries under respective teams.
Those other shared queries are still showing up in the "Work Item Queries' widget as expected.
It's only the query that I edited to be dynamic that won't show up.

Any thoughts on whether this is as designed or a defect or operator error?

2 answers

permanent link
Jim Ruehlin (79114) | answered Jul 30 '13, 5:14 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Have you added the query to the list in the widget? You need to click the twisty in the widget, then select Add, then navigate to the query you want to add.

Comments
Andrew Codrington commented Jul 30 '13, 5:32 p.m.

The widget conveniently added all queries shared with the team in question.
I thought maybe it only included queries shared when the widget was added to the dashboard so I did try what you suggest - adding the query manually.
So far I've been unable to find it under My Queries or under Shared queries in the dialog you show above.

The query was already in the list, but disappeared when I changed it to dynamic.
I tried creating a new dynamic query and also could not find that.

I've just tried removing the dynamic condition from the query and it reappeared in the list in the dashboard widget.

I'm pretty sure it's filtering dynamic queries on me.

permanent link
Taha Boulaguigue (1899) | answered Oct 17 '13, 9:26 a.m.
It looks like this issue is still persisting with v4.0.x.
A shared query with a dynamic condition cannot be selected to be added to the work items queries dashboard widget.

Comments
Kevin Ramer commented Jan 27 '14, 9:59 a.m.

Odd that this subject hasn't received much traffic.   One of my RTC users raised an issue in not being able to add a query.  First thing I checked was to run the query.  It asked for some attribute.  

I then created 2 widgets on my personal DB, Work Item Queries, Work Item Statistics.  Added same query to both.  Then I modified the query to have one dynamic condition.  Query disappeared from Work Item Queries and this was in Work Item Statistics:

CRRDV5024E The work item query could not be retrieved from the server. The server encountered an unexpected error that prevented it from retrieving the work item query. To find more details about this issue, open the JavaScript console of your browser by pressing F12, refresh the widget, and check the JavaScript console for any resulting errors.
I think preventing dynamic conditions makes some sense, but I'd like to find a record of that decision somewhere.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.