It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why won't RTC install?

Jeff Berman (1535) | asked May 24 '16, 6:43 p.m.
edited May 25 '16, 12:29 p.m.
I'm trying to install RTC onto a Linux box just to evaluate it (Ubuntu 16.04).  Things aren't working and I'm not sure what the cause is.

I downloaded the CLM-Web-Installer-Linux-6.0.2 file, but when I execute `launchpad.sh` it just spits out some warnings and errors and sits there. I can't tell if it's actually doing anything.

I'm also unclear on what prerequisite software needs to be installed.  This requirements document (link) lists a bunch of software, such as IBM Installation Manager and various application servers, but I'm not sure why those are all listed as the installer should install those, shouldn't it?  I mean, doesn't the installer install the IBM Installation Manager, a web server, a database, and an application server?

Could the problem merely be that I'm using Ubuntu instead of a supported OS like Redhat? I see that an older version of Ubuntu is listed as compatible, but does that mean that I need to use that version for things to work, or just that nothing newer is "supported"?

Here's an exerpt from the installation log.
jberman@JazzUbu:~/Downloads/CLM-Web-Installer-Linux-6.0.2$ sudo ./launchpad.sh 
+ firefox -P Profile_20045 -profile /tmp/IBM_LaunchPad_20045/Profile_20045 -chrome chrome://commonlaunchpad/content/commonlaunchpad.xul
1464126345839 addons.xpi-utils WARN Disabling foreign installed add-on langpack-en-GB@firefox.mozilla.org in app-global
1464126345855 addons.xpi-utils WARN Disabling foreign installed add-on langpack-en-ZA@firefox.mozilla.org in app-global
1464126345867 addons.xpi-utils WARN Disabling foreign installed add-on ubufox@ubuntu.com in app-system-share
1464126826944 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for commonlaunchpad@ibm.com did not contain an updates property
1464126826992 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for e10srollout@mozilla.org did not contain an updates property
1464126827098 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for firefox@getpocket.com did not contain an updates property
1464126827152 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd} did not contain an updates property
1464126827173 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for ubufox@ubuntu.com did not contain an updates property
1464126827330 addons.xpi ERROR Failed to clean updated system add-ons directories.: Unix error 2 during operation DirectoryIterator.prototype.next on file /tmp/IBM_LaunchPad_20045/Profile_20045/features (No such file or directory) ((unknown module)) No traceback available
1464126827799 addons.xpi ERROR Attempted to load bootstrap scope from missing directory /tmp/IBM_LaunchPad_20045/Profile_20045/extensions/firefox-hotfix@mozilla.org.xpi
1464126827799 addons.xpi WARN Add-on firefox-hotfix@mozilla.org is missing bootstrap method shutdown
1464126827800 addons.manager WARN Exception calling callback: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520006 (NS_ERROR_FILE_TARGET_DOES_NOT_EXIST) [nsIFile.isDirectory]"  nsresult: "0x80520006 (NS_ERROR_FILE_TARGET_DOES_NOT_EXIST)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm :: getURIForResourceInFile :: line 1506"  data: no] Stack trace: getURIForResourceInFile()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm:1506 < this.XPIProvider.callBootstrapMethod()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm:4668 < this.XPIProvider.uninstallAddon()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm:4921 < AddonWrapper.prototype.uninstall()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm:7129 < uninstallHotfix/<()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> jar:file:///tmp/IBM_LaunchPad_20045/Profile_20045/extensions/firefox-hotfix@mozilla.org.xpi!/bootstrap.js:78 < safeCall()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:179 < makeSafe/<()@resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm:195 < Handler.prototype.process()@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:933 < this.PromiseWalker.walkerLoop()@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:812 < this.PromiseWalker.scheduleWalkerLoop/<()@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:746
Thanks!

Comments
Donald Nong commented May 25 '16, 5:33 a.m.

The error suggests that the folder is not correctly copied, or the user cannot access that folder.

1464126827330    addons.xpi    ERROR    Failed to clean updated system add-ons directories.: Unix error 2 during operation DirectoryIterator.prototype.next on file /tmp/IBM_LaunchPad_20045/Profile_20045/features (No such file or directory) ((unknown module)) No traceback available

Jeff Berman commented May 25 '16, 12:14 p.m. | edited May 25 '16, 12:17 p.m.

Well, yes... but why?  Am I doing something wrong?

I downloaded the CLM-Web-Installer-Linux-6.0.2 file, untarred it, and then executed the lauchpad.sh file.  I even tried it from the root account.  What am I missing, here?

Donald Nong commented May 26 '16, 5:43 a.m.

Sorry, no idea. It works fine on my Red Hat machine.

One answer

permanent link
Lonnie VanZandt (88517) | answered Sep 03 '16, 2:41 p.m.
 For the same CLM installer also on Ubuntu 16.04, with Firefox 48.0, I see the same problem with launchpad.sh. When the -chrome chrome: URL is left off the command-line firefox call, an instance of Firefox DOES open immediately. Therefore, something is screwy in that chrome://commonlaunchpad/content/commonlaunchpad.xul resource.

This is all a bit frustrating: I have turned to the UI installer because the command-line repotools setup script also has complications.

Perhaps the 6.0.3 Milestone releases have attended to restoring support of modern Linux systems to CLM? Many users are not likely to try to resurrect 32-bit Ubuntu 12.04. Forcing users to RedHat Linux is also not an appreciated policy for some of us.

Comments
Lonnie VanZandt commented Sep 03 '16, 4:18 p.m.

Well, a chrome://*.xul URL is a reference to a Add-On extension in Mozilla-derivative browsers. Firefox as of version 43 blocks automated installation of unsigned extensions. IBM's commonlaunchpad xpi extension (found in the extensions directory of the new Profile being used by launchpad.sh) is unsigned.

Therefore, unless an older version of Firefox is used (perhaps that is why the process works on RH?) or the commonlaunchpad extension gets signed, Firefox will have to drop out of the supported browsers set.

To workaround this Oops!, downgrade Firefox with a version prior to 43, for example:

sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/firefox-mozilla-build_42.0-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb

I verified that this downgrade does allow firefox in new Profiles to auto-install the IBM extension and, most importantly, that the launchpad.sh script will run, will open the firefox browser, will install the commonlaunchpad, and one can run that launchpad app.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.