It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Seeking a clever way to hide a GSA password in an RTC Build Definition

Randall Beck (22412) | asked May 13 '16, 6:58 p.m.
I have a build customer for whom I just set up a new RTC Jazz Build Engine.

Build Environment
  • The build engine is running Windows 2008 R2
  • The JBE uses the 5.0.2 Build Toolkit
  • This is a Command Line Build Definition, so I cannot use any Ant magic
  • During their build, they would like to copy files from the JBE to their GSA project area using their own GSA ID.
How can I protect the integrity of their GSA password?  I do not see a way to hide the characters as a Build Property.

Thanks in advance

--Randy

Comments
Donald Nong commented May 16 '16, 3:18 a.m.

How about using a copy tool that can accept a password file? I don't have any such tools in mind though.

Randall Beck commented May 16 '16, 10:45 a.m.

@dnong — A good thought, and that is the workaround that I am using today. 

However, for long term use – given our passwords need to be changed every 90 days – it would be more elegant to use a Build Def property if possible.

Donald Nong commented May 16 '16, 7:50 p.m.

Are you aware of this similar discussion?
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/221116/jazzjbe-adapter-print-out-clear-text-password-when-jbe-command-encountered-error

The idea is that as long as you need to pass a password from one application to another application via command line, it will be clear text. Is your situation similar or different?

Randall Beck commented May 17 '16, 5:02 p.m.

@dnong — Thanks for your suggestion.

I was not aware of that thread but after reading it, I find that it does not pertain to my use case. I am not using Rational Build Forge for this customer. The only two apps involved for me are the RTC Build Toolkit & the RTC SCM server.

so in a way my question is much easier as I do not depend on a BF adaptor.

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.