It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I leverage the Locate Change Sets feature in RTC 4.0.3 to bulk promote change sets associated to a work item?

Andrew Trobec (49713144139) | asked Apr 28 '14, 7:27 a.m.
edited Aug 02 '16, 12:07 a.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
Hello,

I am working with RTC 4.0.3 and I am trying to move groups of change sets between streams.  The scenario is that I have a maintenance project that works on the basis of a CR.  Each CR work item has an x amount of change sets associated to it that are work on multiple components and are submitted by multiple users.  My goal is to be able to promote all change sets associated to a single work item from one stream to another (in this case DEV -> SIT environments).

Using the Locate Change Sets option I can quickly see which change sets of a work item are not present in a target stream.  Under the Search Targets section I can select a target (SIT) and click on "Show Result Details" to load the results in the Search window.  Here is a screenshot of the status:

What I would like to do now is simply select the work item and in some way accept them into the SIT environment.  How can I accomplish this?

Regards,

Andrew

Accepted answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Apr 28 '14, 8:40 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I would recommend creating a repository workspace based on the SIT stream and accept the changes into there. There is no accept action from Locate Change Sets but you can open the change sets in Change Explorer. From there, you can accept the change sets into your repository workspace and deliver to the SIT stream. I think this is your best option. There isn't a way to accept those change sets directly into your stream. Using a repository workspace is best in case there are conflicts to resolve.
Andrew Trobec selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Andrew Trobec commented Apr 28 '14, 9:15 a.m.

@tmok

Hello Tim,

Thanks for the reply.  I am already aware of this approach to promote between streams and workspaces, but my problem is different.  What I want to do is be able to work on the basis of work items rather than individual change sets, and this is because one work item can have many change sets and I don't want to have to browse every component in order to identify what to promote.

Instead of accepting a set of change sets I would like to right click on a work item and accept it and automatically accept all the change sets associated to it.

How can I do this?

Regards,

Andrew

Tim Mok commented Apr 28 '14, 9:40 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

You can open the work item and accept the change sets from the Links tab. However, it will still only accept into a repository workspace.

Andrew Trobec commented Apr 28 '14, 9:52 a.m.

@tmok

Hello Tim,

Thanks for pointing out this feature to me!  It definitely helps, but doesn't quite resolve my problem entirely.

Suppose I have 20 work items that I need to promote.  With this approach I have to open each one, accept the changes into my workspace, then deliver those changes to the stream.  Is this the way to go, or is there a quicker way?

Regards,

Andrew

Tim Mok commented Apr 28 '14, 10:02 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Pending Changes can display changes grouped by work items. If you use your SIT repository workspace and flow with the DEV stream, you can switch Pending Changes to the work items grouping and see the change sets grouped by work item. You still have to expand the work item node and select the change sets to accept but it might be easier than opening work items.

Using this method, you could also show the SIT stream in Pending Changes to do the same thing. This bypasses the need for the repository workspace as long as you set the SIT stream flow target to the DEV stream and you only care about changes from the DEV stream. However, you won't be able to resolve any conflicts this way.

Andrew Trobec commented Apr 28 '14, 2:22 p.m.

@tmok

Hello Tim,

How do I display changes grouped by work items?  I can't find the option in my Pending Changes.

Regards,

Andrew

Tim Mok commented Apr 28 '14, 2:45 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Pending Changes work items grouping
That's what it looks like with the button to press to switch the view mode highlighted in green.

Andrew Trobec commented Apr 29 '14, 10:53 a.m.

@tmok

Hello Tim,
This is excellent!  Thank you!
It would be nice to be able to use nested work items here as well in the same way you can drill down from a parent work item to its children to look for change sets in the Locate Change Sets functionality.
Regards,
Andrew

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.