It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

repodebug in production?

Gabriel Lopez de Armas (10189) | asked Mar 09 '16, 6:23 a.m.
Hi. 
We noticed that viewing the provisioning log (/admin?internal=true#action=com.ibm.team.repository.admin.provisionStatus) requires enabling repodebug in RTC 6.0.
We are also interested in using some of it features for better track our server's use.

But, what are the downsides? Does it have a considerable performance impact?

2 answers

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k373103) | answered Mar 10 '16, 8:29 a.m.
Hi Gabriel,
I tried opening provision status page but did not find any information that it requires repodebug. Also is there any particular reason why you need to see provision status? In general this is internal page and these kind of pages are rather used by development or support only. The basic diagnostics finding the most common issues is provided in Server Diagnostics page which is not internal.

Comments
Gabriel Lopez de Armas commented Mar 10 '16, 8:37 a.m.

Oh, I wonder why it requires it. We have only one 601 test server, so maybe we will see a different behaviour in other servers (I can't upload the screenshot as I don't have enough reputation).

We have custom server-side plugins, and we use that log to see the installation/update worked right and see what version of them are installed (although the newer plugins do provide a component which makes more sense) 

Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk commented Mar 10 '16, 8:47 a.m.

Hi Gabriel,
Can you provide the error message in text mode then?

Gabriel Lopez de Armas commented Mar 11 '16, 11:21 a.m.

It just says:

Provision Status

Error while trying to get provison install log: To access the Provision status you need first to enable the repodebug service in the Advanced Properties

permanent link
KrishnaKanth Naik (76511015) | answered Apr 07 '16, 6:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Gabriel

To enable repodebug options, you could follow the instructions mentioned here. Having said this, the utility enables the tool admins to do more investigation on specific events as well as even allow the admins to do DB queries from the Application interface. While after enabling this option, under idle state there is no performance hit, but the options provided by this utility could cause issues if the admin extends his activity to beyond just READ activities.

Some of the same examples of what could be done from this interface are listed below:
1) creating dumps.
2) Viewing Live logs.
3) Performing DB queries.
4) Creating snapshots of current services.
5) Looking up env variables set for the application. and lots more.

However, I could not see the issue with the provisionStatus mentioned by you in my setup.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.