It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Cannot add members to project

Lara Ziosi (33811112) | asked Dec 09 '13, 3:13 a.m.
I created a public project for a University Course (I used the academic JazzHub for the purpose last year without any problems).

I attempted to add a user that already exists in jazz.net, but it failed with:

Problem

CRJAZ6053E The 'Save Project Area' operation cannot be completed. Permission is required to complete the operation.

Reason
In order to carry out this operation, you would need permission to perform the following additional actions:
Modify the collection of team members

I also sent the user an invitation, and when the user logged on to JazzHub:
1. He did not see the panel with the Invitations, but just the normal panel with the most active projects
2. He had to manually search for the project name
3. When the particular project name opened, he saw the following error:

An error occurred while processing your invitation.

This is blocking as apparently I cannot add any students either way.

Thanks, Lara

Comments
Lara Ziosi commented Dec 09 '13, 7:48 a.m. | edited Dec 09 '13, 7:49 a.m.

Hello Lauren,

Thank you. I was indeed using the new JazzHub.

Now the user has clicked on the link in the invitation, instead of directly logging in into JazzHub like he had done before.

Clicking on the link and logging in, did make him a memeber of the project. So far so good, and thank you for that.

Nonetheless, he still did not see the "My Stuff" page when clicking on the first hyperlink to the top left of the page.

He kept seeing the advertisement page as if he was not logged in.

He then by chance clicked on Like, and got a pop-up asking to accept Terms and conditions.

After doing that, he finally saw the "My stuff" page.

I would have expected that as a registered user of Jazz.net he would have an easier experience of
finding immediately whatever terms and conditions he had to accept, and that he would then see his invitation without using the link in the e-mail.

Can you explain what we did wrong?

I need to explain it to all the students and would like to avoid trouble.

Thank you and regards, Lara

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Dec 09 '13, 7:58 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Lara,

If a user is not a member of a project or has not liked a project, he won't see the My Stuff page--instead he'll see the traditional home page.  The reasoning behind this choice is that seeing an empty My Stuff page is not that helpful for new users. 

We delay asking users to accept the terms until they try to complete an action that requires accepting the terms.  Our intent was to allow users to browse around without forcing them to accept terms before they were ready.

All that being said, I see the case you've hit.  We should likely expand the case of when the My Stuff page is displayed to include if a user has received an invitation.  I'll bring this up with the team.

The easiest thing to tell your students is likely to ask them to accept the invitation through the e-mail.

Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you!

Lara Ziosi commented Dec 09 '13, 8:03 a.m.

Hi Lauren,

Thank you for your feedback. Indeed, it would be good to let users who have an invitation see it directly, and ask them to accept the Terms and Conditions before they become members. Else I think it is a bit strange that they can become project members without accepting the T&Cs.

Thank you, Lara

Accepted answer

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Dec 09 '13, 7:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Lara,

It sounds like you've moved to the new JazzHub (hub.jazz.net).  Is that correct?  My comments below all pertain to the new JazzHub.

In the new JazzHub, members must be added using the web interface.  Permission to edit the project area through the Eclipse client has been disabled.

To add a member to your project:
  1. Navigate to your project on hub.jazz.net
  2. Click the Invite People link on the left
  3. Input your student's e-mail address and click Invite

Your student will receive an e-mail letting him know he's been invited to your project.  Your student should

1. Click on the link in the e-mail to accept the invitation
  2. Authenticate to JazzHub if prompted

Your student will be added as a member of the project.

If your student chooses not to use the e-mail invitation, he can

1. Log in to JazzHub
  2. On the MyStuff page, click the Invitations tab
  3. Accept the Invitation

It looks like you may have reached an error state.  If you navigate to your project, do you see your student listed as a member?

Lara Ziosi selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.