It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to avoid "java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException: SSL_TLS SSLContext not available.." if we use java 8 ?

Arshad Adavani (231220) | asked Mar 09 '16, 5:25 a.m.
Hi All,

I tried to login to RTC using  the below configuration:

Java version : Java 8
RTC Version : 5.0.2

and it produces me the following exception.

java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException: SSL_TLS SSLContext not available
    at sun.security.jca.GetInstance.getInstance(Unknown Source)
    at javax.net.ssl.SSLContext.getInstance(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.transport.client.SSLUtils.createSSLContext(SSLUtils.java:204)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.transport.client.SSLUtils.createSSLContext(SSLUtils.java:165)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.transport.client.SSLUtils.createSSLContext(SSLUtils.java:186)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.transport.client.SecureInterruptableSocketFactory.<init>(SecureInterruptableSocketFactory.java:127)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.transport.client.SecureInterruptableSocketFactory.<init>(SecureInterruptableSocketFactory.java:118)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.transport.client.RemoteTeamServer.buildHostConfiguration(RemoteTeamServer.java:269)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.transport.client.RemoteTeamServer.ensureInitialized(RemoteTeamServer.java:233)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.transport.client.RemoteTeamServer.setCredentials(RemoteTeamServer.java:502)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.TeamRepository.<init>(TeamRepository.java:388)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.TeamRepositoryService.createSharedTeamRepository(TeamRepositoryService.java:526)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.TeamRepositoryService.getTeamRepository(TeamRepositoryService.java:113)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.TeamRepositoryService.getTeamRepository(TeamRepositoryService.java:132)

But it works fine with Java 6. Did not check with 7. How do I avoid this ? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help :-)

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 09 '16, 5:30 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Please use the Java Version that ships with the client and the server, if you want to avoid problems. Thanks.

Comments
Arshad Adavani commented Mar 09 '16, 6:18 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for your reply. I am new to RTC. Do not know much about it.

Is there a restriction that I have to use same version for RTC eclipse client and server ?

Can I use RTC Client 6.0.1 and Server version 5.0.2 ?

Nate Decker commented Mar 14 '16, 4:28 p.m.

With respect to the eclipse client, you can use an older version client with a newer server but the reverse is not true. That being said, at some point the eclipse client will be considered "too old" for the server as well.

So the RTC client 6.0.1 will NOT work with server 5.0.2. But a 5.0.2 client will work with a 6.0.1 server.

I believe a 4.0.6 client is considered too old to work with a 6.0.1 server because it is two major versions behind.

permanent link
Zeeshan Choudhry (6541612) | answered Mar 09 '16, 5:50 a.m.
SSL_TLS (SSLV3) has been disabled for poodle attacks in latest versions of JAVA I think. You need to use minimum TLS.1.0 protocol for server client communication to avoid these errors.

How to disable it in Team concert you can refer to link below for security bulletin
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21687762

And use the supported JAVA versions with CLM 5.0.2

Server:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/CLMSystemRequirements50#A9_Java_Runtime_Environment_Serv

Client:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/CLMSystemRequirements50#B6_Java_SDK_RTC_Eclipse_Client

Comments
Arshad Adavani commented Mar 09 '16, 6:17 a.m.

Hi Zeeshan,

Is there a restriction that I have to use same version for RTC eclipse client and server ?

Zeeshan Choudhry commented Mar 09 '16, 6:19 a.m. | edited Mar 09 '16, 6:20 a.m.

No. You can use 5.x client with 6.x server. The support is n-1 compatibility.
You can not use 6.x client with 5.x server

Arshad Adavani commented Mar 10 '16, 2:08 a.m.

How do I know which version of JDK is present in my RTC eclipse client ?

Rohit Balduwa commented Mar 10 '16, 2:24 a.m.

Hi Arshad

Open the command console and navigate to the below location:
<<TeamConcert directory>>\jdk\bin

Type 'java -version' and press enter.
RTC eclipse client 5.0.2 and 6.x uses the Java7.

Regards,
Rohit

Arshad Adavani commented Mar 10 '16, 3:46 a.m.

Hi Rohit,

Thanks for the response.. I have 5.0.2 eclipse client and it still uses java 6. I downloaded it yesterday from jazz. Can you tell me how to update this rtc client jdk to Java 7 or a download link from where I can download 5.0.2 with java 7?

Regards,
Arshad

permanent link
Atul Kumar (1872329) | answered Mar 09 '16, 5:30 a.m.
You can try un-disabling of MD2 by re-enabling it by editing JDK_HOME/jre/lib/security/java.security.

Simply comment the following line:

From
jdk.certpath.disabledAlgorithms=MD2

to
#jdk.certpath.disabledAlgorithms=MD2

Comments
Arshad Adavani commented Mar 09 '16, 6:18 a.m.

Hi Atul,

Atul Kumar commented Mar 14 '16, 7:04 a.m.

You can connect to a newer version server by using an older version client, but you cannot connect to an older version server by using a newer version client.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.