It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Export as .csv ranked backlog plan in RTC 4.0.6

Marko Tomljenovic (31647109) | asked Sep 11 '14, 9:48 a.m.
Hello,
is there a nice way of getting a csv file from a ranked backlog plan where the rank is retained.

What I am currently doing (and it seems to work):
1. Do the manual ranking in the plan (almost all items have been ranked for the first time)
2. Create a query that contains the same work items as the plan.
3. In the query definition set the sort criteria to the archived attribute "rank"

This way the exported query content seems to be equivalent to the plan. But if this is the right way to do, why is the attribute archived and not easily usable?

PS. The export to xml feature in the plan would also be enough but it hangs (,never returns a result) in my backlog that contains ~330 work items.

Thank you

Comments
Marko Tomljenovic commented Sep 11 '14, 9:49 a.m. | edited Sep 11 '14, 9:50 a.m.

The xml export now finished. It took ~10 minutes to finish for ~330 items!!!

Greg Pflaum commented Sep 11 '14, 11:22 p.m.

Performance of exporting large plans is a known problem: 219824: Performance issue: exporting a plan to xml since it uses DOM parser for XML
We've seen export of large plans run for days on the server, and the client times out long before the export finishes.

Marko Tomljenovic commented Sep 12 '14, 3:54 a.m.

Ok, fine. Thanks for the hint.
BTW is there somewhere an explanation what information is contained in the exported XML file? Schema-Description?

What about the initial question how to export the plan? :)

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Sep 12 '14, 4:09 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can only export queries as CSV. You can however create a query for the data the plan shows.
WRT how the XML export works see: https://jazz.net/library/article/1150 (Google rocks).
Marko Tomljenovic selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Marko Tomljenovic commented Sep 12 '14, 4:12 a.m.

I know that already, see my above statement :)

The question is how to the get rank into the exported csv file.
Is the above mentioned approach the only way? Is it even creating a correct result wrt the ranked items in the plan?

Ralph Schoon commented Sep 12 '14, 4:36 a.m.

Ralph Schoon commented Sep 12 '14, 4:38 a.m.

All the comments above won't get the question answered btw.  Hence it can't be completed and it will sit unanswered and uncompleted forever in the forum.
So I answered it......

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.