It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to update bulk artifacts in RDNG 6.0

sousan hussain (291154) | asked Mar 02 '16, 6:59 a.m.
 Hi have around 1600 artifacts. I need to add some additional fields to them and modify some existing fields. I dont want to loose my existing artifact IDs and links associated to it. Manually it is not feasible. I believe we can do it via Import process. Could you help me with steps to up[date multiple artifacts.

Regards
Sousan 

3 answers

permanent link
Chidambaram L (23414287) | answered Mar 02 '16, 7:09 a.m.
Use perl or java to GET XML, manipulate the XML (modify attributes), PUT XML.
or use OSLC programming.
Import to update the attributes is not possible in DNG.

permanent link
Mark Goossen (106) | answered Mar 02 '16, 1:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Starting with 6.0.1, it is possible to update requirements with a CSV import.  You can create a view that contains your requirements and the fields which you want to modify.  Then export the requirements to a CSV file and edit the appropriate fields.  In this case, it would help to edit the file in a spreadsheet editor.   Save the CSV file and import it back into your project, using the 'Import' functionality.

Comments
sousan hussain commented Mar 02 '16, 11:58 p.m.

Thank you Mark for the reply. Could you please provide me steps to do so. May be I am missing something, after following the steps given above new set of artifacts are getting created with new artifacts IDs.

Donald Nong commented Mar 03 '16, 12:10 a.m.

Did you choose to "update" the artifacts? The steps are very simple.

sousan hussain commented Mar 03 '16, 1:44 a.m.

I am not getting Choose import option to "update artifacts that match entries, and ignore new entries" I am using 6.0 template

Donald Nong commented Mar 03 '16, 2:24 a.m.

The first thing Mark mentioned is "starting with 6.0.1". So no, you can't do this with 6.0.
https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-doors-next-generation/releases/6.0.1?p=news#1003

permanent link
Cliff Sadler (62717) | answered Mar 30 '16, 1:28 p.m.

I am using 6.0.1 fixpack1 and I am not able to update an attribute from a .csv

Use Case:  I create an export that has the Identifier, and one other string attribute Legacy ID to .csv - all good

I modify a different attribute (pre-defined in RDNG, and associated with a Requirement Artifact Type called LBA Attribute) and populate a string value for Link by Attribute based on information provided in the Legacy ID attribute.

I then try to import the modified .csv (now contains just Identifier, and a Legacy ID attribute column.  That import fails because I did not include an Artifact Type column.  Easy enough, add a column to the .csv and fill it with "Requirement"

Try to re-import, and the importer says it was successful, however the data in the string attribute LBA Attribute does not show up, even after a refresh.

this is an integral part of using Link by Attribute, but my moduleID.TargetID strings do not get populated into my Link by Attribute.  I can hand jam them into the module attribute, and link by attribute works fine.

Now I'm wondering if I HAVE to also include the other attribute values that were exported by default when you export from RDNG; specifically isHeading, parentBinding, and module (id) along with Artifact Type.  If so, where is that documented?

Legacy ID id isHeading parentBinding module Artifact Type
3.2.1.1.A 21285 FALSE 21280 21196 Requirement
3.2.1.1.B 21286 FALSE 21280 21196 Requirement
3.2.1.1.C 21287 FALSE 21280 21196 Requirement

Comments
Cliff Sadler commented Mar 30 '16, 1:44 p.m. | edited Mar 30 '16, 9:10 p.m.

Well, I answered my own question.  Not sure which attribute made the difference (probably the module one), but if I retain the isHeading, parentBinding, module, and Artifact Type, import update works just fine.

It is now documented here.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.