It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Color order is not appropriate

Benjamin Chauviere (37128) | asked Dec 07 '15, 12:53 p.m.
Hello,

I'm setting up several color depending on the type of task like Task (blue), Defect (orange), then some sub categories for example if a special field is filled up, I set it in Red, the problem is that the color that is taken first is from the top to the bottom. So if I have a task with this special field I will get it Blue whereas I would like Red.

In addition we cannot move the order of the rows that is the main problem, so if I want to get my Red color I need to put it first and then re-create the other color attribute. A bit boring,

Did I miss something or it works like that ?
Thank you,

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Dec 08 '15, 8:33 p.m.
It proves again it is beneficial to ask a clear question. I suppose you are talking about a plan? So something like this?

I'm afraid what you have found out is just the way it is. If you would like the feature of re-arranging the order of the options, you will need to open a RFE.
Benjamin Chauviere selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Benjamin Chauviere commented Dec 09 '15, 3:33 a.m.

That's exactly what I was talking about, at the end a High Priority Story on the task board will be colored in Blue because it is first on the list,

Another interesting point is that you are displaying a Ranked List view and you have close the type of work item a label with the colors. I do not have it in my summary of items, how do you activate it ?

Thank you,

Benjamin Chauviere commented Dec 09 '15, 3:40 a.m.

Sorry, I thought that once it is defined in my task view, that in the ranked list view the color labels will be also transferred. I added them and I get these color labels.

Thank you very much,

One other answer

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Dec 07 '15, 2:09 p.m.
Is this attribute based upon an enumeration ?  If so, I'd suggest you compare the sort order you get from RTC versus the identifier in the elements of the enumeration.   I point this out due to the way some older burndown would rank priority ( low , medium, high ) based on the identifier of the enumeration entry.

To look at the details of the enumeration elements you'd need to look at the project configuration source in the Eclipse UI.  Typically, the id is generated thus:

for Enumeration "name" color
Add new value(s) id would be id="color.literal.l1", id="color.literal.l2", etc.   Dropping / adding enumeration elements simply increases the number following color.literal.l  to the next value.   You can rearrange the position of the enumeration elements in the UI to sort them based on the display value ( Red, Green, Cyan, Chartruese, Rojo, Amarillo, Verde,....)

Comments
Benjamin Chauviere commented Dec 08 '15, 6:04 a.m.

I'm not sure to understand well your response, actually I was pointed out the fact that if you have at the beginning (at the Options when you edit a view where you have Exclude, Sorting, ..) a Color Blue for type:task then you set other attributes then you want to refine and you want to set Red if the task are High Priority.

The tasks remain Blue because you have defined first in the order Color type:task and that annuls the color value defined later because a task with high priority is primarily a task.

Defining first Red for High Priority then Blue for Tasks work but the problem is that we cannot move up or down the rows.

Hope I clarified my concern,
Thank you

Kevin Ramer commented Dec 08 '15, 11:19 a.m.

Is this in the context of some viewlet ?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.