It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to restrict modification of approved requirements in RDNG ?

Katrin Heymann (19824563) | asked Dec 07 '15, 10:14 a.m.
I want to restrict the access to modify requirement artefacts in a specific state - e.g. approved requirements.

Is it possible from technical side or do we need an organizational way of working ?

At the moment we are using version 4.0.6 and from next week 5.0.2

Comments
Christian Winkler commented Jan 07 '16, 5:02 a.m.

Hi Katrin,
I know these problems - make artifacts uneditable in a certain state. At least bring them to a different state to edit the content. We coulln't find a way until now.

But my question: how did you create the state attribute? Do you use some build in functionality or just an attribute with enumeration?

4 answers

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813674) | answered Jan 11 '16, 3:53 a.m.

Hi Christian,

I've done a few work items presentation designs for this type of thing:

- You could use one of the other editor presentation / Plan view Editor or the Search Editor. Each of these has their own presentation that as a default would be editable.

It will depend on how you want it to work.

I've done another example using a script and read only dependency.

- so you add an attribute that only Admin can edit Boolean "Admin Edit" - then make all the other attriibutes read only on that presentation based on the new Boolean attribute.  But it does require multiple saves to change from Edit mode to Read only.  But works well.

Depends on the Requirements for your solution.

Regards

Matt

Comments
Christian Winkler commented Jan 11 '16, 4:30 a.m.

Thanks for your explanation, Matt.

It seems to be a bit too complicated for my company - too many projects with too many "admins" needed.
I have to wait for 6.0.2, where this should be build in - hopefully...

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Dec 07 '15, 11:13 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can use team areas to control create/modify/delete permissions.  When requirements reach an approved state you can move them to a folder hierarchy where most users are not able to modify them.

By the time you get to 6.0.x I expect it will provide workflow automation that does this.  You can follow this plan item:
101784: Workflow support for Process Automation of requirements

Comments
Katrin Heymann commented Dec 09 '15, 6:02 a.m.

Hi Daniel, it should work but in my case we use the folder structure to reflect the functional differences.

In this case we need to add a folder to handle the approved requirements for each functionality. This is not my preferred way.

permanent link
Christian Winkler (1321623) | answered Jan 07 '16, 5:04 a.m.
Hi Katrin,
I know these problems - make artifacts uneditable in a certain state. At least bring them to a different state to edit the content. We coulln't find a way until now.

But my question: how did you create the state attribute? Do you use some build in functionality or just an attribute with enumeration?

Comments
Katrin Heymann commented Jan 07 '16, 10:24 a.m.

Hi Christian,

thanks for your answer.

For the states we use just an attribute with enumeration.

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813674) | answered Jan 08 '16, 1:48 a.m.

Hi,

Not sure is this helps...  To meet this requirement I edit the Attribute Presentation for attributes in States to be "Read Only" on the Presentation.  Therefore users can't edit them...

However you can if you did a multiple edit etc...  but most users don't know or understand the detailed level.

You can do this setup in the Eclipse - I mostly work with work items in the web interface.

Comments
Christian Winkler commented Jan 11 '16, 3:31 a.m.

Hi Matt,

thanks for the idea.
How did you or others then edit this attribute, when it is "normally" read only?
Only with multiple edit?
Is it possible to edit this attribute in the rigth side-bar?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.