It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Should Print Module Book output a module text artifact that is designated as a header row with full rtf?

Dave Remmel (2517) | asked Oct 29 '15, 10:26 p.m.
Add a text artifact to a DNG v5.0.2 module (not necessarily a header type artifact), and designate it as a header row.  A section (or subsection) number will be added to the artifact in the DNG Module.  In this text artifact, insert a bulleted list or numbered list.  Output the module to a Word document using Print Module Book.  The lists are not visible and the text from the lists is smushed together.

As an alternative, each bulleted list element was made into its own artifact and inserted into the original text artifact (still designated as a header row).  It looks good in the module, but when output to a Word document using Print Module Book the inserted artifacts are not visible at all in the Word output (not even smushed together).

If you designate the original text artifact to be a normal row and output the module to Word using Print Module Book the output contains a bulleted list in both scenarios above.  However, the original text artifact is no longer a numbered subsection which is the primary goal.

Is this expected behavior?

Comments
Keith Collyer commented Oct 30 '15, 5:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I can't answer whether this is correct or expected behaviour from output to Word, but I would comment that it is generally considered good practice to use headings as just that. That is, they are essentially section markers, and should have no substantive content. So there is a very simple workaround for your problem - don't do it! ;). Set your original heading artifact as a heading, set your bulleted list items as non-headings.

I guess that what you are trying to achieve is to separately number each artifact in an outline? Is that the case? If so, what is the reason for doing that? There may be alternative ways of achieving the same result. This is not normally considered good practice, as the numbers will change as artifacts are added or removed, so the numbering is not stable.

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.