It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC - Parallel timelines and Teams

Mahari Hill (4861169230) | asked Oct 27 '15, 8:10 a.m.
Five Categories
Five Teams matched to the categories.
100 users

All,

We are rolling out a software solution and are tracking department roll out via RTC. At first, we were doing roll out one department at a time. Now, they want to do parallel releases for some of the smaller depts. and track them separately. This is fine, we can use parallel timelines.

The Question:
If I have 100 people split in the five teams on the "Main Development" timeline, do I have to go and create 5 new teams for each of the additional timelines? Or can I just use the same teams?

Example
Java Team (25 members) on the Main Development timeline. Now there is a Department B timeline, do I need to Create Java Team B or what? How does this affect status and progress bars? Do I have to create new categories?

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 27 '15, 9:27 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Please see: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/RTCProcessFundamentals

The project area defines one or more timelines which define how a given planned period of time is partitioned into iterations such as releases, milestones, sprints etc. A project area can be assigned to exactly one project timeline to work against at any instance in time.
Team areas contained in a project can also each be assigned to exactly one timeline to work against at any instance in time. Only team areas on the top level of the team area hierarchy can specify a different timeline, nested team areas inherit the timeline from their parent. Please see the section Timeline and iteration fundamentals for more details.

So if you want to work against different timelines, you always need one area for each timeline.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 27 '15, 6:33 p.m.
I recommend thinking of your team areas as "planning areas" for a given iteration.   So if you have a group of people that want to have a separate plan for a given iteration, you'd create a team area for that group of people.
For your particular example, if each of your five teams want to have a separate "departmental plan" for a given iteration in the departmental timeline, then yes, you'd need five additional team areas.

Comments
Mahari Hill commented Oct 28 '15, 7:16 a.m. | edited Oct 29 '15, 11:49 p.m.

Thank you both for your timely answers. I do have some follow up questions however. I "think" I understand about planning and timelines and iterations, the confusion seems to come from the Filed Against/Team piece of this question. If I use this example:

Timeline1

• DepartmentA
Categories/Team
  • Java Section 1/Java Team
  • Java Section 2/Java Team
  • Database Section/Database Team
  • WebSphere Section/WebSphere Team
  • Process/Department Business Team 
So now I want to do the new Department(B) timeline.

Can I keep the same Categories/Filed Against->Teams, or do I need to create additional ones for this new timeline? Future Department Timelines are going to have their own milestones and iterations, so a new timeline is important, the Filed Against field, i'm hoping, is going to remain the same, so I am confused on how to implement that and match to a team if a new team is needed for the additional timelines.

I looked at the Rational Team Concert on jazz.net, and it seems that you have work items assigned to Filed Against, like "Work Items", and the team area is under RTC Development (Main Development timeline) and then you have the Planned for for 6.0 ifix Timeline...that is how I set up my POC. But your responses lead me to believe I will not get accurate progress/reporting...

It's kind of confusing....

Geoffrey Clemm commented Oct 29 '15, 11:55 p.m.

Only a team area that is assigned to the Department(B) timeline can do work against the Department(B) timeline.   So in particular, if all of these team areas are assigned to Timeline1, then none of those team areas can be used to plan and do work for Timeline(B).   So you will need to create new team areas for planning and working against the Department(B) timeline (or reassign existing team areas to the Department(B) timeline, but then those team areas can no longer plan/work against Timeline1.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.