It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Choose the best process template for planning

Mathieu Defianas (15942838) | asked Nov 08 '13, 10:54 a.m.
edited Nov 08 '13, 10:56 a.m.
Hello,
I use RTC and RQM from many months and now I try to understand the planning possibilities in RTC.
I have some questions ...

1) I understand that there are 2 methods for plan my projects :
- scrum method where :
  1. I must define an iteration with a start and end date
  2. I must define my ressources on this iteration
  3. I try to allocate tasks on this iteration until it's possible
=> So, I obtain the list of my tasks that I can realize on this iteration before the end date

- formal method where :
  1. I define an iteration with a start date
  2. I must define my ressources on this iteration
  3. I allocate all tasks on this iteration
=> So, I obtain the end date for realize my work

Is this analyse correct ???
Can I obtain the result of "formal method" with a "scrum method" or the reverse ???

2) So now, I understand that when I create a project, the process template is really really important !!!!!
How can I do the best choice for my project or the client's projects ???
How can I manage a project that at the beginning, is managed with a scrum method and at the end with a formal method ??

3) Finally, is it possible to change the chosen initial process template when I have set the projects at the init ?

Thanks for your help

Mathieu

Accepted answer

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Nov 11 '13, 9:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Mathieu,

For question 1: "The Scrum process template supports a popular approach to managing projects in an agile way. The Scrum process template includes a single timeline (Main Development) with a release number 1.0. The release is subdivided into many fixed-length sprints."

"Use the Formal Project Management Process template to create a project area for traditional project management. In a formal project management process, instead of developing in iterations as you would in an Agile process, you track change management in sequential phases: Requirements, Design, Implementation, and Testing.

Team members complete each phase of a formal project management process before beginning the next phase. Each phase has specific target dates that the team observes to complete the project by the release date.

The Formal Project Management Process template provides the Milestone work item type, which identifies significant points or events in a project or project phase. You can use milestones to control the transitions between phases and to monitor the project progress."

I believe your analysis is correct: When you use agile methods, you set your iteration dates and then see what work can be completed within those iterations based on estimates and your team's velocity.  When you use more traditional waterfall methods, you typically set a fixed amount of work and a fixed release date and attempt to finish everything in that time.

For question 2, If you'll be using an iterative release schedule, the scrum template is likely better.  If you'll be doing a more traditional waterfall release schedule where you'll be doing large phases like Requirements, Design, Implementation, and Test, the formal process template is likely a better fit.

For question 3, see https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.jazz.platform.doc/topics/t_migrate_dif_process.html&scope=null.  "Although it is possible to change the process for a project area to match that of a different process template, it is often infeasible because it changes the data model on top of your existing work item data. It is usually easier to create a project area with the template that you want, and then migrate work items from the original project area to the new project area."
Mathieu Defianas selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Mathieu Defianas commented Nov 12 '13, 4:00 a.m.

Thanks a lot Lauren !!!
Is it exist a detailled documentation about formal process because for example, "time spent" is in read only and I don't understand why ???
I think the best solution is to use formal process and work with it on scrum (with an adaptation) because the reverse is impossible.

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Nov 12 '13, 7:07 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

You're welcome!

The best documentation I know of for the formal process template is available here: https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.jazz.platform.doc/topics/c_traditional_process_temp.html&scope=null.

I found this forum post that has a lot of information about why time spent might be in read only mode for you: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/61482/time-estimate-field-is-read-only.  From this discussion, It looks like you should be able to enter the time spent in the time tracking tab.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.