It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Adding Components advantages & disadvantages

Muhammad Moid (141534) | asked Oct 26 '15, 9:28 a.m.
Hi,

I had one default component created automatically with the creation of a stream and I have loaded my sample project in that default component and I am building my project successfully.

Q. Why do we need to add more than one components? (As I can achieve my work from one component) OR In which cases I need to add more than one components and would be the advantages of it?

Q. Is there any additional steps in build definition, If I have to build more than one components for a particular solution/project? (I am able to build project successfully with one component)

Note: I am using Visual Studio Client

Regards,
Muhammad Moid

3 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 26 '15, 6:02 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Some reasons to have more than one component.
- If different sets of files need different read access ... the easiest way to arrange this is to have the files with different read access stored in different components.
- If you want to be able to select a different baseline of a particular set of files, while leaving the rest of the files unchanged.   Having that set of files be in a separate component makes this easy.
- If you want to make it easy to load one set of files without loading the other files.   Putting that set of files into its own component makes this easy.

Build definitions with multiple components are no harder than those with a single component.

Comments
Muhammad Moid commented Oct 27 '15, 2:43 a.m.

Thanks Geoffrey.

I got my answer for question #1. Regarding build definition, still confused with the mechanism of build engine for multiple components.

Is there anything in build definition that differs in multiple components build as compare to single component build?

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 27 '15, 7:57 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component-based_software_engineering

And note that as Geoff said, if you have multiple components, you don't necessary see them. Please see the JKE Banking Example that ships with the product.

permanent link
Dejan Custic (2855) | answered Oct 30 '15, 4:58 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Here's also a related topic that compares creating few large components versus many small components http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.0/com.ibm.team.scm.doc/topics/t_component_bestpractices.html

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.