It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Query based on "Parent ID" not finding any matches

Andy Kulich (111) | asked Jun 27 '12, 11:30 a.m.

I am having a  problem creating a query from the GUI that looks for all work items that have a specific parent ID.   I specify the # and hve tried "is" & "contains" but the query does not find any workitems that match.  

Running  "Version: 3.0.1.3"

2 answers

permanent link
Daniel Pool (2644) | answered Jun 28 '12, 12:27 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jun 28 '12, 12:28 a.m.
This would be so much easier if I just knew how to post an image...
  1. In the eclipse client create a new query by right clicking on "Work Items" in Team Artifacts,
  2. Select "Start from scratch"
  3. Click on the green plus sign.
  4. You should see a dialog with a row of check-boxes near the bottom. 
  5. Make sure that the check-box for "Show links" is checked.
  6. At the top of the dialog where it says "type filter text" you enter "Id" (no quotes).
  7. Now scroll down the list of various things with an Id until you see "Parent".
  8. Click on "Id" in the row below parent. Id in the row below parent should now be selected
  9. Click OK.
  10. You should now have a box in your query. The box should say something like "Parent > Id is".
  11. Now enter the parent Id in the text field of the box.
  12. This should find all children of the given parent Id.
Perhaps you are using the web client?

Comments
Arne Bister commented Jun 28 '12, 2:44 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I tried with the web client - no problem adding parent --> id to a new query. When I enter a value it gets all the child tasks whose parent has this id. In RTC 4.0 I tried (with web) and could make that part dynamic, so the query would ask the parent id when running.

• Arne

Andy Kulich commented Jun 28 '12, 8:57 a.m.

Thanks.. I also found how to expand the "Parent" and was successful in adding parent->id to the query and it worked. (FYI.. the client I'm using did not have the "Show Links" option )

permanent link
Daniel Pool (2644) | answered Jun 27 '12, 6:07 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jun 27 '12, 6:08 p.m.
  • In the eclipse client create a new query from scratch. 
  • Add a new query condition to query based on an attribute. Make sure the "Show links" checkbox is checked. 
  • Enter "ID". Scroll down to where you see Parent:ID and double click ID.
  • Click OK.
  • Enter the id as a plain number. No special characters.
  • Run the query. You should see all children of the given parent.

Comments
Andy Kulich commented Jun 27 '12, 11:57 p.m.

I do not see a "Show Links" checkbox when I create a new query. Also I added the "Parent ID" column to the results but it is always blank. The "Parent" column does show the workitem I added a link to as the Parent.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.