It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What are the specific steps to move the database to a new server (Oracle DB)?

Becky McDermott (921139) | asked Sep 09 '15, 2:22 p.m.
 I am tasked with moving our JTS/application database to a new server.  I am new to Jazz and the Rational suite of tools but have been doing a lot of reading recently.  From what I have read, it seems pretty straight forward to move the database.

I understand the high level steps to be:

1) Use Oracle RMAN to replicate the existing production database to a new server

2) Export some views from the existing production database (to test the database migration)

3) Edit the server/conf/applicationName/teamserver.properties for each application and point to the new database server

4) Export the same views from step 2 and compare to those in step 2 to validate the database replication was sucessful.  If the views don't compare, then edit the teamserver.properties to point back to the original database server.

Are there any other specifics to be aware of?  Are there any services that need to be stopped first?  Is it as simple as replicating the database and pointing the applications to the new server?  Any hidden steps?

Thank you,

Accepted answer

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k374103) | answered Sep 10 '15, 2:58 a.m.
Hi Becky,
Yes, it is so simple:
  1. Stop the servers
  2. Migrate database to a new server
  3. Change database connection in teamserver.properties for each application. You must notice that in each teamserver.properties you have a reference to both: application data and datawarehouse database.
  4. Start database and the server
Becky McDermott selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.