How do I make progress transparent without disturbing productive plans?
Using the scrum-Template, I want my work items hierarchy to be as shallow as possible to work with flat lists rather than deep trees of Epics, Stories and Tasks.
On the other hand, I would like to be able to show the current "progress" of top level work packages to my superiors without having to reassemble the information manually in powerpoint slides.
I know how to fulfil either requirement alone:
On the other hand, I would like to be able to show the current "progress" of top level work packages to my superiors without having to reassemble the information manually in powerpoint slides.
I know how to fulfil either requirement alone:
-
If I have a flat list plan only consisting of Stories (Execution Items excluded), ranking is possible. But I can't see aggregated status.
- If I link all the Stories that contribute to a bigger picture as Children to the higher level Epic, I can see the rolled-up effort and progress in the Epic. But these Epics will clutter the team's plans.
Instinctively, I'd have made the Stories "ContributeTo" the higher level Epics, but the contribution link doesn't propagate Effort and Progress.
How do I resolve that? (Also, as a side question: where can I see which link propagates which information?)
One answer
The planning views allows you to specify that you want to see the hierarchical structure as a flat list, so if you want to see flat lists of the hierarchical structure, you can do so. Why are you avoiding the use of hierarchical work item structures?