It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Links and Planning

Mahari Hill (4861179230) | asked Sep 18 '14, 9:04 a.m.
Hello,

A recent acquisition is running RTC 4.0.5. They are using the SCRUM template and imported work from a waterfall project (MS Project) they were working on. They now have 10 Epics, 30 "sub" Epics, which goes to epics, stories and tasks. As an example, I opened up a random task and it had 12 parent links. All of their work is this way, and opening up a Tree view or Taskboard can last about 60plus secons...saying Loading Tasks/Loading Links forever.

Has this part of planning improved in 5.0.1? I am assuming that there are companies using even larger plans.

As a bonus question, does IBM work around this using tags or fields.

thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Eric Jodet (6.3k5111120) | answered Sep 19 '14, 8:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hello,
my understanding is that the number of links for each work item in the plan will impact performance when loading it.

Q: Has this part of planning improved in 5.0.1? 
Also note that  in 5.0.2, Dev implemented Improve performance of ILinkRestService (326836)

Now I am concerned with " I opened up a random task and it had 12 parent links"

Whereas a given work item can have n children,
any work item can have a single parent.

What degree of confidence can we have about this Project Area "health" in terms of Planning and Work Item.

I would vote for opening a ticket to IBM Support  - https://jazz.net/help/support/

Eric
Mahari Hill selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Eric Jodet commented Sep 19 '14, 9:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

And I found this 

https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/5.0.1?p=news#PlanLoadingPerformance

that I think you will find interesting.

Eric

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.