It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

With RTC, is it Possible to Have the Output of One Query be Used as Input to Another Query

Rob Olsen (3512153) | asked Aug 20 '15, 2:19 p.m.

I am pretty sure I know the answer but just making sure.  We have two record types.  One record type A which contains membership name ands locations.  Then we have record type B which list different projects and the leads for the project.  We want to create a list of records where the lead for a project is from a certain location.  Name and location are in record type A and project and name are in record type B.  Is there a way to query record type A, get all of he names from a location and run that through query B and find out which of these names are leads?

If RTC cannot do this, is this something that JRS can handle?

Thanks!   

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k614) | answered Aug 21 '15, 2:18 a.m.
Are these two work items linked in some way (e.g. Related). If so, you may be able to do so, as RTC allows you to query on the attributes of the linked work items (only one level). Of course this is not the "foreign key" relationship that we usually use in a database, so the result may not be what you want. Depending on how you design the work item types, you may want to introduce a link/reference between the two work items.
Rob Olsen selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Rob Olsen commented Aug 21 '15, 7:20 p.m.

Thanks for the response.  No there is no link between the two.  So how would you query on the link?  Let's say that I create a link between record type A (member name, location) to record type B (member, project).  So you click on the link it would take you from member info to the project info.  Where or how would you then create the query?

Rob Olsen commented Aug 21 '15, 7:34 p.m.

Ok, so I did some playing around and I figured out how to run a query on a link.  And it does take me in to the other record, which is cool.  But I can do a search on "Related to"->"Lead Name (attribute), but I still have to fill in the value of the "Lead Name" that it needs to find.  So right now I query on the records that contain the location, so I get all of the members from a location, then I query on "Related"->"Lead Name", but I cannot push the member name in to the "Lead Name" that I am searching for.  Does that make sense? 

Rob Olsen commented Aug 21 '15, 7:44 p.m.

Ok, I think I figured it out with the link suggestion!  Thanks!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.