It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to query on an empty field?

Garren Linker (1122) | asked Feb 13 '13, 11:54 a.m.
I have a work-item template with a custom field that is only to be filled in when certain conditions are met. I want to perform a query to see which work-items which have a value in that field. Is it possible?

2 answers

permanent link
Daniel Toczala (88211514) | answered Feb 13 '13, 7:03 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Sure.  Just choose the field in a custom query, and then in the box where it says "FIELDNAME is", click on the little decoration and select "FIELDNAME exists".

Comments
Robert Huet commented Jun 07 '13, 3:08 p.m.

I have the same problem, and using "exists" still brings back blank values for my custom string attribute.  Also, I have found no way to query on work items that have a blank value.  If I select "is" and leave the value blank, the condition disappears when I go to save the query.

Any help you can provide on this would be very helpful.
Thanks,
Robert 

Stuart Cornell commented Feb 05 '14, 6:17 a.m.

I have the exact same issue. I need to find items where a particular custom field is blank. 

Lukas Steiger commented Feb 05 '14, 6:48 a.m. | edited Feb 05 '14, 6:48 a.m.

I was annoyed about this before as well. It looks like that there is already an open enhancement request for this. Vote for it so that the developers may priorize it

permanent link
Bruno Fazoli (856) | answered Mar 25 '15, 8:57 a.m.
Hi,

Any update on that?
I need to find items where custom field is blank.

Regards

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Mar 25 '15, 11:36 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Click on the link to the enhancement request in the last comment by Lukas, wait for the work item to open. Look at the state of the work item.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.