It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Using Iteration attribute type as new attribute in WI, what is the influence

Rakefet Berger (43215) | asked Jul 15 '15, 2:26 a.m.
 Today I'm using Iteration (Planned for attribute) to plan my Timeline and have the list of iteration in my Timeline. The iteration are also my "release/build"(in RTC usually using 'Deliverable' attribute) name.
I want the user to report (to fill in another attribute) on the same list for other information such as: 'Tested in version', 'Rejected in Version', etc.
What I was doing is defining new attribute name 'Tested in versio' and the type is Iteration.
This means in the same WI, I have two (Actually 4)  fields which the type is Iteration, and the value will be different.
For Example:
Planned For: Iteration 1.2
Test in: Iteration 1.5
Found in (If it is a Defect): 1.6
Rejected in" 1.5

What will be the influence of using the same attribute type from type 'Iteration'. Does it have any ifluence on my Plan? Effort , etc

The reasons I'm not using the 'Deliverable type is:
1. I don't want to maintain the same iteration name twice
2. I need to link between category, team and Iteration - so the user will view and choose only the relevant release to his category.

Thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 15 '15, 2:49 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Only the "Planned For" attribute is used in out of the box capabilities such as planning and reporting.
As long as you leave the "Planned For" attribute untouched and use it as it is supposed to, there should be no impact of having custom attributes of type iteration.

The custom attributes will be usable in queries and you could also report them in custom reports and show them in plans. There will be no automation/business logic available out of the box. If you want to have business logic e.g. which iterations are available to choose, you will have to create your own value set provider. It will likely have to be a Java based value set, because JavaScript basically does not let you get at any information for iterations, timelines, categories etc. other than to read the attribute values. See https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/attribute-customization-java-based-value-providers-conditions-and-validators/ for more information.

If this approach works for you, great. The attribute "Found In" really has a different semantic. It is used to be able to report against releases - ideally one that was the result of a built. A release and an iteration don't necessarily represent the same thing. See https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/RTCProcessFundamentals for some thoughts on that.

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Ryan McBryde (5911130) | answered Jun 29 '16, 3:28 p.m.
@Ralph,

I am working on something similar and I would like to create an attribute that contains data similar to Planned For, but does not come from the stored Timelines/Iterations.  If I understand the above correctly, any attribute of type Iteration will use the stored Timelines/Iterations as its data set, is that correct?  Your description for creating our own data set provider would allow the user to select a different value from this data set than the one selected for Planned For, but the values presented would still come from the stored Timelines/Iterations correct?

If I wanted to have my custom "planned for" attribute, is there a way to create one in RTC, ideally modified in the same way that an enumeration is.  In other words, an attribute where I can store a value that could be used instead of Iteration, in a customized burndown report?

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jun 30 '16, 3:09 a.m. | edited Jun 30 '16, 3:10 a.m.

I think it would be beneficial for you to go through

the RTC only version, to understand a little bit how attribute customization works.

The attribute type determines possible values. So if the type is an iteration it must be an iteration from a timeline defined in the project area. You can use custom values, those are usually implemented as string. 

Ralph Schoon commented Jun 30 '16, 3:11 a.m.

In addition, it is quite simple to create a test server and to customize (add custom attributes) a bit and just look at how that works.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.