It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I append test cases to an existing test plan using the RQM Excel Importer?

Andrew Trobec (49713144139) | asked Jun 12 '15, 5:15 a.m.
Hello,

I am using RQM 5.0 with the associated version of the RQM Excel Importer.  I am importing a number of test cases and associating them to a test plan.  The cfg file that I am using is this:

testplan.dc:title="Test Plan 201506"
testplan.XLSArtifactID="TP_201506"
testplan.XLSLink=testcase

testcase.XLSStartRow=2
testcase.XLSArtifactID="TC_" & C
testcase.dc:title=C & " - " & D
testcase.dc:description=E

This works perfectly the first time around because I am associating all test cases created in the file to the test plan.  The issue arises when I have to run the same script on a second file (the importer can be unstable and sometimes freezes so I have to split up the file).  Instead of appending the test cases to the existing test case list within the test plan it overwrites them so the association from the first file is lost.

Is there a command that allows me to append test cases to a test plan rather than overwrite them?  I tried adding the line:
testcase.testplan=Link("TP_201506")
since this should be a feature based on this enhancement but I can't get it to work.

Best regards,

Andrew

One answer

permanent link
Andrew Trobec (49713144139) | answered Jun 12 '15, 5:41 a.m.
I found a solution which I hope may be of help to others with the same issue.  It is divided into two steps.

Step 1: Create the test plan and associate the first set of test scripts

testplan.dc:title="Test Plan 201506"
testplan.XLSArtifactID="TP_201506"
testplan.XLSLink=testcase

testcase.XLSStartRow=2
testcase.dc:description=E

Step 2: Create successive test cases and associate them to the test plan created previously.

testcase.XLSStartRow=2
testcase.testplan=LinkExisting("TP_SIT_201506")

This second script does not contain any test plan lines but rather a reference to the Artifact ID created in the first script.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.