It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Workflow issues with conflict moves using command line

Winston Enos (33116) | asked Apr 23 '15, 3:20 p.m.
edited Apr 23 '15, 3:30 p.m.
We've recently upgraded to RTC 5.0.2, which added a new feature to support moving file conflicts between components on the command-line (looks like GUI support for this doesn't come until 6.0.)

We had a situation where developers in one stream (let's call it 3.0_stream) did an Eclipse RTC Move In operation to move code into separate components. Other developers in another stream (call it 2.0_stream) made updates to those files in the existing locations before the moves done in the 3.0_stream. We then did a merge from 2.0_stream to 3.0_stream.

Using the directions on jazz.net in the New & Noteworthy for 5.0.2 ( https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/5.0.2?p=news#crossComponentConflicts ) I went ahead and tried to move the conflicts, which mostly worked out well, minus some workflow issues. I was curious if someone had knowledge on what should the user expect with these situations:

1. For starters, it looks like none of the 5.0.2 or in-dev IBM documentation contains the '-m' switch used in the 'scm resolve conflict' command. I'm looking at both:
a. http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSCP65_5.0.2/com.ibm.team.scm.doc/topics/resolve_conflict.html
b. https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.team.scm.doc/topics/resolve_conflict.html&scope=null

2. I went ahead and moved a small amount of file conflicts to another component using the command 'scm resolve conflict -m 1909 1801 1802 1803 1804 1805 1806 1807' which worked fine:
No merge queue.
Conflicted items have been successfully resolved.

Then I went to do a few more for the same component and received this error:
com.ibm.team.repository.common.TeamRepositoryException: There is already a curre
nt merge for the target component in the workspace
        at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.rest.util.PortsDTOUtil.create
CurrentPatch(PortsDTOUtil.java:690)

Is there a way to add more file conflicts to a target component if that target component already has a current merge for that component? It seems shakey that I need to either do them all at once, or do multiple changesets and complete each one to do another.

3. Thinking that I needed to either complete or abort the merge for that target component, I decided to '--abort' the 'scm set current-merge' for that workspace and component instead of '--complete' to restart and add all the files together in one batch. I received an error:
om.ibm.team.filesystem.client.FileSystemStatusException: Status ERROR: com.ibm.team.filesystem.client code=0 Error while discarding change set com.ibm.team.repository.common.TeamRepositoryException: Only change sets can be added to the merge queue
    at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.operations.FileSystemOperation.reportErrorsAsException(FileSystemOperation.java:238)
    at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.operations.FileSystemOperation.run(FileSystemOperation.java:103)
    at com.ibm.team.filesystem.client.internal.rest.util.PortsDTOUtil.abortPorts(PortsDTOUtil.java:422)

at com.ibm.team.filesystem.rcp.core.internal.rest.FilesystemRestClient.postAbortCurrentPatch(FilesystemRestClient.java:2285)

Finally, I decided to just --complete it, which worked, and did a single batch of moves for each other component, which also worked.

4. When you have a current merge for a target component from this, your Pending Changes will look like this until you complete the current-merge:

Is this a typical incomplete changeset or a specialized one under-the-covers? What does 'Pending Gap Resolution' status actually mean?

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.