It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do we merge 2 baselines in one component (at least)

Donna Thomas (14122548) | asked Feb 03 '15, 11:30 a.m.
Hi there,

I know there have been many posts on this, but the one I found with the most information is pretty confusing to me. ( https://jazz.net/forum/questions/32173/how-to-do-parallel-streams )  We have hundreds of users, but we tend to direct them to work as simply as possible.
So, now we have a group that is using multiple streams for parallel development. They've now determined that they want to merge 2 of their baselines together (which have been working in parallel streams).

For example:
Stream A (component Z at baseline 3)
Stream B (component Z at baseline 7)
They want the changes from both streams together. These have been working separately for a while.

I don't quite understand "flow targets" since I haven't seen anything really explaining them. (Search in Jazz.net either yields no results or too many.) But I have the sneaky suspicion that I will need them to accomplish this.

Can I please get a simple answer on how to accomplish this? Or direct me to a place where I can get a simple answer?

Thank you much!

Comments
Anthony Kesterton commented Feb 03 '15, 3:07 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Just to add a quick explanation of "flow targets". You have work in a repository workspace and you want to Deliver your work to a stream to share with others.  The place the repository workspace "flows" into is shown on your Pending Changes view (you will see your repository workspace with double-headed area pointing to a stream). This stream is called the "flow target".  If you wanted to deliver your work to another stream, you change your flow target of your repository workspace to that other stream. 

Hope that helps a little

anthony

Donna Thomas commented Feb 05 '15, 8:53 a.m.

Thank you Anthony! Along with the answer below - I'm in business! But your comment put "flow targets" into perspective for me.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 03 '15, 2:53 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
When you say "merge 2 of their baselines together", I'll assume you mean "merge the streams containing those baselines together, and update both streams to contain the result of the merge".
The details differ depending on which RTC client you are using, but for the Eclipse client:
- Create a repository workspace on one of the streams (say, on stream A).
- Load that repository workspace (right click on the workspace, and select the "Load" operation).
- In the Pending Changes view:
  - right click on that workspace, and select Change_Flow_Target, and select the other stream (say, stream B).
  - right click on that workspace, and select Accept.
  - right click on that workspace, and select Deliver (this updates stream B to contain the results of the merge).
  - right click on that workspace, and select Change_Flow_Target, and select the original stream (stream A in this example).
  - right click on that workspace, and select Deliver (this updates stream A to contain the results of the merge).

Donna Thomas selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Donna Thomas commented Feb 05 '15, 8:53 a.m.

THANK YOU - along with Anthony's comment above, I understand more now!

Leandro Leal commented Mar 16 '16, 9:46 a.m.

This dont work for me! only work if Stream B already has the merge.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 17 '16, 3:19 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

If there is a conflict, you cannot flow directly from streamA to streamB... you have to flow both streams into a workspace, resolve the conflicts in the workspace, and then deliver the results to streamB.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.