It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC - What gets copied when replacing a process template source

Daniel Kalinski (1378) | asked Nov 14 '14, 12:08 p.m.
Hi, I have a question regarding process configuration source.
I understand I am able to copy the source from one PA to another PA by replacing the contents of the Process configuration source tab.
After saving the changes I realized some things were copied over like: Roles and Permissions, however it seems the dashboard contents are not copied over as seen from the web UI.
I would like to understand exactly what artifacts, processes are being copied over after replacing the template source, like work items types, categories, dashboards, queries, etc.

Thanks in advance

2 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Nov 14 '14, 12:46 p.m.
you should not be copying the process source between project areas..

if you wish to share, then click this process shares on the process front page,
and this project USES on the other project front page.

iterations, teams, plans are not copied.  you can setup the have the INITIAL dash boards started at the same place, but the customizations are not shared.

permanent link
Daniel Kalinski (1378) | answered Nov 14 '14, 12:59 p.m.
Sam, thanks for your answer.
I have seen other questions and I found this one on the forum explaining how to replace a process template so I was applying same logic:
Migrating a project template
I understand customizations seem to not copy when replacing a process template, so I would like to know exactly what gets copied and what is not so I can learn more about it.
Thanks

Comments
sam detweiler commented Nov 14 '14, 1:59 p.m.

I've read that same stuff, and used it to recover poorly managed projects to a core definition..  I don't think I have ever been happy with the results.

what is in the process config is workitems and plugin actions.
everything else is NOT in the process config.
iterations, teams, categories, releases, plans, stream and source defintion, builds and build defs, etc..

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.