It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Recommended method of moving the existing CLM environment on Windows to Linux

Abish Mathew Zachariah (252511) | asked Nov 09 '14, 7:41 p.m.
edited Nov 10 '14, 11:25 a.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)

Hi Experts

I am in the process of upgrading one of our clients CLM 4.0.3 Standalone environment (CLM 4.0.3, WAS 7.0, RRDI and DB2 9.7) on Windows to CLM 5.0.1, DB2 10.5, WAS 8.5.5 and Insight 1.1.1.5, in a fully distributed environment with reverse proxy on Linux.

Since there is no direct migration from CLM 4.0.3 to CLM 5.0.1 from Windows to Linux ( I presume and please correct me if I am wrong), I am in the process of replicating their existing environment in Linux and then upgrade it to CLM 5.0.1.

Here are the steps I am planning to perform:

1. Take a back up of Windows CLM 4.0.3 JazzTeamServer directory
2. Export the Db2 9.7 Database on Windows using “db2move” to import it on to the Linux DB2 10.5 environment ( direct back up and restore is not possible between Windows and Linux. Again please correct me if I am wrong here)
3. Install CLM 4.0.3 and WAS 8.5.5 on the Linux machine (stand alone and not distributed)
4. Install DB2 10.5 on a separate Linux server machine. Create Databases for CCM, JTS, QM and DW
5. Import/load the DB2 9.7 tables (dump files) into DB2 10.5 Linux environment using “db2move”.
6. Perform a Server rename for CLM 4.0.3 on Linux
7. Start CLM 4.0.3 on Linux to see if the data is intact

The ultimate goal is to upgrade to CLM 5.0.1 in a fully distributed environment on Linux, after moving CLM 4.0.3 from Windows to Linux. Please let me know in case my approach is not correct or if I am missing out on anything here. Thanks

Best Regards
Abish M Zachariah

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 17 '14, 2:37 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
If you have a common public URI root (e.g. https://myserver/) than this can be used by the proxy. You don't have to do a server rename, in fact it would be the wrong thing to do.

The applications keep the public URI, they just run on a different machine. Since the proxy forwards all requests they simply are not aware. See the pictures in https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/RecommendedCLMDeploymentTopologies5 . It is important that the applications think they have the same public URI that is used by the proxy.

If the applications don't have a common public URI root (the same hostname/port prefix) you would have to do a server rename to get a common one.
Abish Mathew Zachariah selected this answer as the correct answer

3 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Nov 10 '14, 2:20 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
In general the approach seems to be OK.

There are other files you might want to consider too. See https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/BackupCLM

permanent link
Abish Mathew Zachariah (252511) | answered Nov 16 '14, 5:25 a.m.

Hi Ralph

Thanks. I have created a staging environment for CLM 4.0.3 on Linux just to replicate their current production environment on Windows ( CLM 4.0.3, RRDI 2.0.x, DB2 9.7 and WAS 7)

Here is what I have tried:

1. Export the CLM DB2 9.7 database on Windows using Db2move “database name” export –l “<path to the backup>\CCM\lob”, for database JTS, CCM, QM and DW
  2. Created SQL script for DDLs and tables, “db2look -d mydb -e –l –x -o mydb_create.sql”
  3. On the Linux machine installed DB2 10.5 and created databases for JTS, QM, CCM and DW
  4. created tables and schemas using “db2 –tvf  “mydb_create.sql”
  5. Imported the data using “db2move db import”. Had issues with DW import as there were lot of dependent tables. So ran Load instead of import and set integrity for all the tables using a .sql script
  6. Installed WAS 8.5.5 on the proposed CLM 4.0.3 server on Linux and created a profile.
  7. configured LDAP
  8. Installed CLM 4.0.3
  9. Deleted the “conf” folder of staging environment and replaced it with the “conf” from the Windows CLM 4.0.3 production environment
  10. Modified the teamserver.properties files with new entries matching the locations of Databases, index location, base url and data base folder location of the Linux staging environment
  11. Ran the clm_was_config.py Jython script to configure WAS profile
  12. Manually checked if all the configuration are correct: In JVM custom properties
  13. Restarted the WAS profile
  14. Deployed the CLM WAR files using clm_deploy.py
  15. Configured security roles to user mapping for ccm, jts and QM
  16. added and entry in /etc/hosts file with the host name of the production Windows machine and ip address of the current Linux machine
  17. Accessed the original CLM production URL from the client machine and could login to the new CLM 4.0.3 Linux environment. Got an error regarding RDF index.
  18. Stopped ServerRebuild the databases indices as well as the Text indices for JTS, CCM and QM with repootools.
  19. Restarted the server and could log back in and see all the data.

I am now in the processes of upgrading the CLM 4.0.3 on Linux to CLM 5.0.1 (using the CLM interactive upgrade http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_5.0.1/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/roadmap_clm_upgrade.html?lang=en ) and then make it to a full distributed environment with reverse proxy.

I presume I need to do a server rename after upgrading to CLM 5.0.1 to make it to a fully distributed environment. Please correct me if I am wrong or anything I need to consider before this move. Thanks

Best Regards

Abish M Zachariah

permanent link
Abish Mathew Zachariah (252511) | answered Nov 16 '14, 5:28 a.m.
Hi Ralph Thanks. I have created a staging environment for CLM 4.0.3 on Linux just to replicate their current production environment on Windows ( CLM 4.0.3, RRDI 2.0.x, DB2 9.7 and WAS 7) Here is what I have tried: 1.Export the CLM DB2 9.7 database on Windows using Db2move “database name” export –l “\CCM\lob”, for database JTS, CCM, QM and DW 2.Created SQL script for DDLs and tables, “db2look -d mydb -e –l –x -o mydb_create.sql” 3.On the Linux machine installed DB2 10.5 and created databases for JTS, QM, CCM and DW 4.created tables and schemas using “db2 –tvf “mydb_create.sql” 5.Imported the data using “db2move db import”. Had issues with DW import as there were lot of dependent tables. So ran Load instead of import and set integrity for all the tables using a .sql script 6.Installed WAS 8.5.5 on the proposed CLM 4.0.3 server on Linux and created a profile. 7.configured LDAP 8.Installed CLM 4.0.3 9.Deleted the “conf” folder of staging environment and replaced it with the “conf” from the Windows CLM 4.0.3 production environment 10.Modified the teamserver.properties files with new entries matching the locations of Databases, index location, base url and data base folder location of the Linux staging environment 11.Ran the clm_was_config.py Jython script to configure WAS profile 12.Manually checked if all the configuration are correct: In JVM custom properties 13.Restarted the WAS profile 14.Deployed the CLM WAR files using clm_deploy.py 15.Configured security roles to user mapping for ccm, jts and QM 16.added and entry in /etc/hosts file with the host name of the production Windows machine and ip address of the current Linux machine 17.Accessed the original CLM production URL from the client machine and could login to the new CLM 4.0.3 Linux environment. Got an error regarding RDF index. 18.Stopped ServerRebuild the databases indices as well as the Text indices for JTS, CCM and QM with repootools. 19.Restarted the server and could log back in and see all the data. I am now in the processes of upgrading the CLM 4.0.3 on Linux to CLM 5.0.1 (using the CLM interactive upgrade http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_5.0.1/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/roadmap_clm_upgrade.html?lang=en ) and then make it to a full distributed environment with reverse proxy. I presume I need to do a server rename after upgrading to CLM 5.0.1 to make it to a fully distributed environment. Please correct me if I am wrong or anything I need to consider before this move. Thanks Best Regards Abish M Zachariah

Comments
Praveen Nind commented Dec 01 '14, 1:36 a.m.

Hi Abish,

I am currently working on a migration plan to upgrade Jazz team server and CLM applications from 4.0.2 to latest 5.x.x for one of the customers. Have you faced any challenges in keeping the public URI. Please let me know if there are any important points to note before starting the migration.

Regards,
Praveen

Abish Mathew Zachariah commented Dec 08 '14, 3:10 a.m.

Hi Praveen

In case if the applications are on the same machines then I don’t foresee any problems here. In my case I have followed the CLM 5.0.1 interactive upgrade guide to upgrade from CLM 4.0.3.After upgrade I could use the same Public URI to access CLM 5.0.1. Since the client want to change the public URI, I have done a server rename after upgrading to CLM 5.0.1.

Best Regards
Abish M Zachariah

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.