It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to restrict visibility and access to categories programmatically?

Berthold Kröger (7841923) | asked Oct 24 '14, 3:40 a.m.
Hi, I found the description how to assign a category to a team area here in the forum:

((Category) category).getTeamAreas().add(teamArea);

But how can I restrict visibility and access to the category programmatically?
restrict visibility and access manually
I'm using RTC 4.0.6.
Kind regards,
Berthold

Comments
Berthold Kröger commented Sep 03 '15, 8:27 a.m.

As far as I know, there is no way to do this in RTC 4.. But will there be an API function in RTC 5. or RTC 6.*?
Regards,
Berthold

Cliff Gardiner commented Jan 01 '17, 11:43 a.m.

This post shows how to set the visibility but I have yet to find a way to set the 'restrict work item access' attribute.  I have been using the RTC 4.0.7 SDK and just recently the 6.0.3 client SDK, and that functionality is still not available as far as I can see.

I'm trying to automate a process along these lines: create team, create WI category, associate team with category, if team's work will be sensitive then restrict access, create work items, etc ...  so if there's a way to do this then I'd like to know.

Can anyone enlighten us?

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 02 '17, 4:43 p.m. | edited Jan 02 '17, 4:43 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

With respect to the SDK, https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2016/02/02/setting-access-control-permissions-for-work-items/ explains the avilable API's, including how to set the restricted access attribute (in 6.0.x) and you can also create access groups which you can then set as context, provided you have the required permissions.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jan 01 '17, 1:03 p.m.
edited Jan 01 '17, 1:17 p.m.
You can use Access groups or the category based access control. See https://jazz.net/library/article/837. Access groups are only manual, but https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2016/02/02/setting-access-control-permissions-for-work-items/ explains API's you could use for custom automation in higher versions of RTC.
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Cliff Gardiner commented Jan 02 '17, 3:08 p.m.

Thanks Ralph but unless I've misunderstood something this doesn't really address the problem; I'd still have to manually create an access group that maps to the team and then drive the access control from the work item creation.  This is no better than manually setting the category attribute.

I'll give it some more thought but at the moment I think my best option is to create the create the work items then manually adjust the category as above, as this will ensure any work items created subsequently via the client will have their visibility limited.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 02 '17, 3:46 p.m. | edited Jan 02 '17, 3:48 p.m.

No, as stated there is only the built in category based stuff and that works as it works. If you what something else, you have to do it manually, or create your own custom automation. There is no free lunch.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 02 '17, 4:02 p.m.

And, by the way, if you try to use the category based read access you have to start creating categories for the purpose and that does not get any better or easier.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.