It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Set Custom Timestamp Attribute Value Programmatically

Joshua Giangrande (2611216) | asked Jan 30 '13, 2:09 p.m.
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set a customized Timestamp field via the 4.0.1 plain java API. We have some imported work items which are displaying a resolution date as the date of their import, and it does not appear that I can modify this field, which is why I have made my own.

The code is as follows:

IAttribute att = null;
            att = workItemClient.findAttribute(projectArea, "ImportedResolutionDate", null);

Timestamp timeStamp = workItem.getResolutionDate();

System.out.println(att.getIdentifier());
            System.out.println(att.getAttributeType());
            if(att != null){
                if(workItem.hasCustomAttribute(att)){
                    workItem.setValue(att, timeStamp);
                }else{
                    throw new Exception("Work item does not have attribute " + att);
                }
            }else{
                throw new Exception("Attribute is null");
            }

So, I'm trying to set the value of my attribute - which has an ID of ImportedResolutionDate - to the existing resolution date (for testing purposes. This will eventually be expanded to pull the correct data from a database, but for now I wanted easy access to a value). When the code hits the line where the value is set, I get the following error:

Wed Jan 30 13:53:02 EST 2013 ERROR - null
class com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.ImmutablePropertyException
com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.ImmutablePropertyException
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.ItemUtil$ProtectAdapter.notifyChanged(ItemUtil.java:2051)
    at org.eclipse.emf.common.notify.impl.BasicNotifierImpl.eNotify(BasicNotifierImpl.java:380)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.model.impl.TimestampExtensionEntryImpl.setTypedValue(TimestampExtensionEntryImpl.java:180)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.model.impl.TimestampExtensionEntryImpl.setValue(TimestampExtensionEntryImpl.java:362)
    at org.eclipse.emf.common.util.BasicEMap.putEntry(BasicEMap.java:303)
    at org.eclipse.emf.common.util.BasicEMap.put(BasicEMap.java:584)
    at org.eclipse.emf.common.util.BasicEMap$DelegatingMap.put(BasicEMap.java:799)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.model.impl.ItemImpl.setTimestampExtension(ItemImpl.java:1253)
    at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.model.impl.WorkItemImpl.setValue(WorkItemImpl.java:2938)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.ItemStore$ItemInvocationHandler.invoke(ItemStore.java:597)
    at $Proxy16.setValue(Unknown Source)
    at <various lines in my classes>

So the attribute exists in the project area, I can call various get methods on the attribute and it returns the correct information, the work item is of a type which uses the attribute, and I do not see anywhere the attribute itself is set to be readonly or anything else that makes me think it is immutable. Anyone seen this before?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Jan 31 '13, 7:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Joshua,
These forum posts suggest getting a working copy of the work item and then saving that mutable copy:  https://jazz.net/forum/questions/62091/getting-immutablepropertyexception-while-modifying-workitem and https://jazz.net/forum/questions/11143/programmatically-adding-a-comment-to-a-work-item.
Joshua Giangrande selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Joshua Giangrande commented Jan 31 '13, 3:52 p.m.

Hi Lauren,

Thanks! I was apparently misunderstanding the other guide I followed when using working copies. This worked perfectly.

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Feb 01 '13, 6:40 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Glad that worked for you!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.