It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Exporting All requirements from RRC V4.0

Tony Kwa (201022) | asked Sep 09 '14, 1:37 a.m.
We have to support a project that wants to use a CSV file to leverage on their existing reports.   We should be able to do this by periodically exporting all Requirements into a CSV file.

The problem is that the export functionality does not work when I try to export all 2500 records.   I created a collection which holds all the records and click the "Export to CSV' file at the top right  of the screen.  It shows a status message which says," The export operation has started.  The process might take a considerable amount of time, depending on how many requirements are being exported".  And it never finishes.  I can run it first thng in the morning and it will still not complete by COB or even the day after.   I have tried the same process with a smaller collection  of 20 records.  I get a prompt immediately - to open or save the file.

Surely RRC can cope with 2500 records in a timely manner.  Please advise.

2 answers

permanent link
Erwin Kunz (94687086) | answered Sep 09 '14, 2:42 a.m.

Hi Tony

I know that reporting i a complicated topic and redo reports because the DB below did change is a huge work. Anyway I would consider to do so.

Today you have 2500 elements. What about in one year or more. You will always run in trouble.

What you can try to use instead of csv export, is Rational Publishing Engine (RPE) and.. best: create your new report, ... or worst: create your CSV file

erwin

Comments
Tony Kwa commented Sep 09 '14, 2:57 a.m.

Thanks for your response.

We are at a point where the number of requirements will not increase much.  They might be refined a bit in terms of attributes.

RRDI or RPE requires a different skill set(!) . There is a separate project to create reports to support our reporting needs.   We are hoping that the CSV export would be an interim solution.

Can you comment of the RRC being able to process 2500 records?  Sure it could - worse case take an hour.   I have been trying to run it for days without it actually being able to complete processing.  I leave it running at the end of the day - and when I come back it the morning the status line has been cleared and it does not report having succeeded or failed.  The system is not shutdown for backups over nite during  weekdays.

2500 records is a reasonable number.  surely there is a set up or tuning issue here?

Erwin Kunz commented Sep 09 '14, 3:22 a.m.

Did you try to create a View with this filter? Did the view load?
If not, try to. If it does finish with a Timeout Warning, try to increase the parameter com.ibm.rdm.fronting.server.query.client.timeout to 90s

What CLM version do you use. There is a known bug on csv export, fixed in 4.0.4 if I remember corectly

Tony Kwa commented Sep 09 '14, 7:34 p.m.

We are on Version 4.04

The view option does not work because - it requires every record to be selected  through the 120 pages.  The "Select Al" option in a view only selects all records on the current page.  There are 120 pages.

But I did try to select 60 records  for export and it did the same thing.  "Status message 'this may take a long time depending on how many requirements...." and never finishes.

We are getting to a point where we may have to stick with Excel and forget about Rational.   They might have gone wrong by working with Excel first and entrenching Excel functionality into the way they manage requirements.  RRC does not compare with Excel in data processing.

Any pointers on how to set up RRDI/Cognos?   The reports the client wants are basic crosstab reports which are well within cognos capability.  If I can get to a point where I can see my Customer Requirement Schema in Cognos/Report Designer, I would be able to create those reports quite easily.

permanent link
Tony Kwa (201022) | answered Sep 10 '14, 7:42 p.m.
Thanks Erwin.  Your second response was the answer to the problem. 

Re-setting the time out parameter allowed the export to run successfully.  It took 30 minutes ++. so I went through and culled all the columns they didn't need for the report out of the export view.   Also - I found a separate option to export out of the View Screen- right click on the View name rather than the pages of data and it exports all the records in the view.

With the reduced number of columns - the export only took 2 minutes which is the sort of response I was looking for.
Thank you very much for your help.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.