It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I get the .class extension to migrate to RTC in a ClearCase VOB migration?

Daniel Ruebush (9715187) | asked Aug 05 '14, 10:51 a.m.
Rational Team Concert 4.0.2

Certain File Extensions Not Migrated from ClearCase

I have a project team that recently migrated a ClearCase VOB to RTC, and noticed that certain file extensions did not migrate.

The file extensions that did not migrate are:
.log
.orig
.class

I know there is a RTC setting set by default that resources are ignored when migrating. 

Within the Eclipse client, click Window > Preferences. 
Inside the preferences pane, expand Team > Ignored Resources. 

Their RTC projects have the .log and .orig file extensions excluded from version control. I see them in the
list, and we can un-check the box to have them included. I do not however see the .class extension in that listing. Could it be that the .class file extension is listed under the file properties area without
MIME Type or Line Delimiter entries? How do I get the .class extension to migrate?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Winston Enos (33116) | answered Aug 07 '14, 3:08 p.m.
edited Aug 07 '14, 3:09 p.m.
I pulled a large ClearCase program into RTC using the Importer and luckily did not run into this issue (however, Eclipse did change the line-ending format, which screwed up quite a few files.) The Importer gets around these issues I believe, I'm assuming your team dropped in the code and committed by-hand if this is the case.

You fixed .log and .orig the correct way, however, I believe you are getting snagged on the .class issue because RTC doesn't advertise it's "builtin" ignored types. By default RTC ignores directories named 'bin' and all files ending in '.class'. In order to pull these in you must create a .jazzignore file at the root of the component and set its core.ignore.recursive set to empty. (In Pending Changes, in the Component, you would right-click a resource and hit 'Ignore' to generate this file, then hand-modify it to meet your needs.) This will allow you to control these files.

Here is an example of such a .jazzignore:
core.ignore.recursive= \
    {*.class}

core.ignore= \
    {.project} \
    {bin} \
    {build} \
    {classes} \
    {stage}

Also remember that RTC added a per-project setting that overrides a user's MIME/encoding settings so you can retain end-of-line delimiters on import, albeit it came in RTC 4.0.5: https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/4.0.5?p=news#delimiter-pref
Daniel Ruebush selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Kevin Ramer commented Aug 07 '14, 3:21 p.m.

what is this chrome js business.....

Winston Enos commented Aug 07 '14, 3:28 p.m.

Appears to be a FireFox plugin inserting itself, I've disabled it. Hopefully that works.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 07 '14, 6:03 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note: Kevin did not encounter this problem because the ClearCase Synchronizer is not affected by any of the Eclipse machinery (such as .jazzignore).  The CC Synchronizer allows you to specify how line endings should be handled when you set up the synchronization.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.