It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problem with importing certain columns of a MS Project file into RTC

Janet Charbonneau (852754) | asked Aug 01 '14, 3:36 p.m.
I have a Microsoft Project file that has a "WBS" column as well as a "Predecessors" column.  I have saved that file as an XML file and have successfully imported it into RTC.  However, it is not importing the WBS and Predecessors data.  I have even tried adding an attribute called "WBS" on the task work item and it is still not importing the WBS data into the RTC tasks.  Is there a way to get these 2 columns of data to import properly into the RTC task work items?

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Aug 04 '14, 4:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
My suggestion would be to create a small export out of RTC to see which format the XML should have. I have, in the past, been able to get dependencies recreated in RTC.

permanent link
Janet Charbonneau (852754) | answered Aug 04 '14, 5:23 p.m.

I've been able to get links (predecessor, parent, child, etc.) to import from an excel file by labeling the column with the correct link name and putting a "#" sign followed by the work item ID.  But these Predecessors are the line item from the Project file, so not the same as the ID for the RTC work item.

Still have the issue of not having the WBS field not showing up in the RTC task.  The interesting thing is that I saved a project file in XML.  Then imported it into RTC.  Then I went to that plan in RTC and exported the plan into an XML file.  Interestingly, it saves the MS Project information somewhere within RTC because it exported the WBS and other data into my new XML file.  Therefore, it is storing it someplace in RTC.  How do I get the WBS field to show up on an RTC task work item?

Here is an excerpt of one of the tasks as exported from RTC into XML (with an origin of being saved as a MS Project XML file and imported into RTC to create the task):

<Task>

<UID>6</UID>

<ID>6</ID>

<Name>Input expenditures for contractor personnel - November</Name>

<Type>0</Type>

<IsNull>0</IsNull>

<WBS>1.1.1.1.1.1</WBS>

<OutlineNumber>1.1.1.1.1.1</OutlineNumber>

<OutlineLevel>6</OutlineLevel>

<Start>2014-08-04 14:18:44</Start>

<Finish>2014-08-05 14:18:44</Finish>

<Work>PT8H0M0S</Work>

<Duration>PT8H0M0S</Duration>

<RemainingDuration>PT8H0M0S</RemainingDuration>

<ActualStart/>

<ActualFinish/>

<ActualDuration>PT0H0M0S</ActualDuration>

<ActualWork>PT0H0M0S</ActualWork>

<Milestone>0</Milestone>

<Summary>0</Summary>

<FixedCostAccrual>3</FixedCostAccrual>

<PercentComplete>0</PercentComplete>

<ConstraintType>4</ConstraintType>

<ConstraintDate>2014-11-15T08:00:00</ConstraintDate>

<HyperlinkAddress/>

<Notes/>

<Deadline/>

<ExtendedAttribute>

<FieldID>188743734</FieldID>

<Value>New</Value>

</ExtendedAttribute>

<ExtendedAttribute>

<FieldID>188743737</FieldID>

<Value/>

</ExtendedAttribute>

<ExtendedAttribute>

<FieldID>188743945</FieldID>

<Value/>

</ExtendedAttribute> -

<ExtendedAttribute>

<FieldID>188743767</FieldID>

<Value>3711</Value>

</ExtendedAttribute>

<ExtendedAttribute>

<FieldID>188743740</FieldID>

<Value/>

</ExtendedAttribute>

<PredecessorLink>

<PredecessorUID/>

<Type>1</Type>

<CrossProject>0</CrossProject>

<LinkLag>0</LinkLag>

<LagFormat>7</LagFormat>

</PredecessorLink>

</Task>

As you can see the WBS number is stored somewhere since it is showing up in the XML export from RTC.  How can I get that data into an attribute on my RTC task work item??

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.