It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Component created in workspace is not under RTC SCM?

Guowei Jim Hu (1.0k910353) | asked Feb 24 '11, 7:48 a.m.
We just found out that when a user create a new component in his workspace which flow to a stream or not, the component is then owned by the user and the user can then run change owner to assign the ownership to another project/team area even though we disable the permission for add/remove component to/from project/team area for everyone in the team area process configuration.

This lead us to believe that when one create a component in a worksapce, the component does not belong to any project/team area, therefore not under SCM?

We notice that one can also create a new component in a stream and it is added to the same project/team area the stream belongs to immediaterly, therefore under SCM.

So what state the new component is at when one creates it in a workspace but before assign it to any project/team area?

Is this just a permission hole as apparently one can add/delete it no matter what permission setting you have for handling component at project/team area?

3 answers

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Feb 24 '11, 11:26 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We just found out that when a user create a new component in his workspace which flow to a stream or not, the component is then owned by the user and the user can then run change owner to assign the ownership to another project/team area even though we disable the permission for add/remove component to/from project/team area for everyone in the team area process configuration.

This lead us to believe that when one create a component in a worksapce, the component does not belong to any project/team area, therefore not under SCM?

We notice that one can also create a new component in a stream and it is added to the same project/team area the stream belongs to immediaterly, therefore under SCM.

So what state the new component is at when one creates it in a workspace but before assign it to any project/team area?

Is this just a permission hole as apparently one can add/delete it no matter what permission setting you have for handling component at project/team area?
I'm not sure what you mean by under SCM. If a component is created and added to the workspace, it won't be a part of the stream until it is delivered. The component owner determines who can access the component.

If a user owns a component, it can still have its contents versioned. The difference is the access is public by default, private (accessible by owner only), or scoped to members of a project area and can only be changed by the owner.

You can set project area permissions to prevent users from adding a component to the stream. I believe the permission in the everybody group to prevent this is overridden if the user is assigned a role that has permission.

permanent link
Guowei Jim Hu (1.0k910353) | answered Feb 24 '11, 11:51 a.m.
I'm not sure what you mean by under SCM. If a component is created and added to the workspace, it won't be a part of the stream until it is delivered. The component owner determines who can access the component.

If a user owns a component, it can still have its contents versioned. The difference is the access is public by default, private (accessible by owner only), or scoped to members of a project area and can only be changed by the owner.

You can set project area permissions to prevent users from adding a component to the stream. I believe the permission in the everybody group to prevent this is overridden if the user is assigned a role that has permission.

Thanks Tim.

As you said, which I believe true, the component in a workspace has its contents versioned,i.e., version controled by RTC SCM even though it is not in any RTC project/teat area.

What I tried to clarify is that when you apply RTC change owner on the component in a workspace as owner, as it is not in any prject/team area, permission setting about remove component from projet/team area which the owner belongs to, is not relevant at all, but the owner has to have the perrmision to add component in the target project/team area he is transffering the ownership to.

When one creates a new component in a stream, it is by default assigned to the project/team area which own the stream, explaining why all permission settings applies.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Feb 25 '11, 4:00 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

the component owned by the user will behave like any other component. It provides the full SCM and is also visible to anyone looking at the stream.

When changing the ownership to a team the owner can still work with the component as usual as long as the process definition such as operational behavior or permissions does not prevent the owner from those actions. The ownership only becomes important once you start playing with more advanced process behavior.

Ralph

Thanks Tim.

As you said, which I believe true, the component in a workspace has its contents versioned,i.e., version controled by RTC SCM even though it is not in any RTC project/teat area.

What I tried to clarify is that when you apply RTC change owner on the component in a workspace as owner, as it is not in any prject/team area, permission setting about remove component from projet/team area which the owner belongs to, is not relevant at all, but the owner has to have the perrmision to add component in the target project/team area he is transffering the ownership to.

When one creates a new component in a stream, it is by default assigned to the project/team area which own the stream, explaining why all permission settings applies.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.