It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

When merging configurations in Rational DOORS with configuration management beta 1 I cannot solve conflicts

Isa Wa (833) | asked Jul 21 '14, 9:02 a.m.
retagged Jul 31 '14, 10:11 a.m. by Paul Ellis (1.3k613)
Hello,

I am working with Rational DOORS next generation with configuration management beta 1 and currently try to find out how to work with workspaces appropriately.

I created a workspace V1.0 Test. Created some artifacts and folders, artifact types and attributes.
Then I created a snapshot Snapshot V1.0 Test.
Then I created a workspace V1.1 Test, which is based on the Snapshot V1.0 Test.

I changed some of the artifacts and folders in V1.1 Test (without a change set).
Then I made different changes to the same artifacts and folders in V1.0 Test (without a change set), as it is described in the task guide point 5c (https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/CM-DNG_Scenarios)

Now I wanted to merge the two configurations. Therefore, I got back to my V1.1 Test workspace and clicked on 'edit V1.1 Test' and selected 'Accept incoming changes'. All the changes and conflicts that occur are listed appropriately. However, when I want to finish merging I always get the message that not all of the conflicts have been solved (no matter if the checkboxes in step 5 are checked or unchecked).

How can I solve those conflicts? Or when does the warning not occur anymore?

Thanks,
Isabella

One answer

permanent link
Paul Ellis (1.3k613) | answered Jul 22 '14, 9:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jul 24 '14, 4:19 a.m.
Hi Isabella,

I just want to ensure that I am reproducing your issue correctly.  I assume you are seeing conflicts prior to this, and then see the following when you try and select "Finish"?
"Some conflicts are not resolved. Return to the previous steps and resolve the conflicts.   
Description:    You must resolve all conflicts before delivering changes.
Solution:    You can either resolve all conflicts, or start a new session and deliver only partial change sets
."

In the previous window (6 - Requirements Management - Artifacts) you presumably also saw the following whether you unchecked the conflicting artifact or not:
"If you deliver the changes from the source configuration, "V1.0 Test", the changes to this artifact in the target configuration, "V1.1 Test", will be overwritten."
ID CRRRW7788W  The artifact was changed in both the source and target configurations. If you deliver the artifact, the changes that were made to the artifact in the target configuration will be overwritten.

for those artifacts which were literally in conflict.

I thought at first that it was https://jazz.net/jazz04/web/projects/Design%20Management#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=42125 which I presume is being alluded to in https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/CM-DNG_Scenarios when it states:
NOTE: if you later try to deliver changes from the V1.1 workspace to the V1 worskpace, the wizard will show conflicts, even though you already resolved them when you accepted changes from the V1 workspace into the V1.1 workspace. This is a known problem. You should ignore those warnings and take the default settings (e.g., don't click Do Not Deliver or Deliver, just click Next).

This is also noted at the end of the release notes if this is the same behaviour as you're observing.

If you can confirm this is what you're seeing.  I will confirm that this is a limitation with the June beta.  As you can see from the forum post: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/158572/doors-next-generation-with-configuration-management-rebase-and-merging, there isn't a merge facility as yet.
You must therefore accept incoming changes first before making potentially conflicting changes.

I will get the wiki updated to say that this Use Case is not possible at this moment in time too if that is the case.

Sorry - there was too much to post as a comment, so I had to post this as an answer.

Kind regards,
Paul

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.