It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DOORS Next Generation with Configuration Management - Rebase and merging

Chris Noble (2735) | asked Jul 17 '14, 10:26 a.m.
retagged Jul 31 '14, 10:12 a.m. by Paul Ellis (1.3k613)
I am working with DOORS Next Generation with Configuration Management Beta.
I create a configuration with a defaultWorkspace and create a number of artifacts and then create a snapshot1. I then create another Workspace1 under defaultWorkspace (with defaultWorspace as its flow target). I then make changes to an artifact in defaultWorkspace and create a snapshot2. I then make changes in Workspace1 on the same artifact. I then open the Configuration Management and open Workspace1. I then click on the rebase icon and select snapshot2 and click 'update'. Then I keep clicking next until I get to the "Requirements Management - Artifacts" page. This page shows that there are edits in both the defaultWorkspace and Workspace1. From this screen I can either select to deliver or not deliver the changes in snapshot2 to Workspace1 for each artifact. I do not seem to have any option to merge the changes (automatically or manually) of any one artifact at this point. Is this correct, have I missed some control that enables a textual merge of the 'Name' field or a merge of the attributes? (at least I can see the changed attributes in this view). The only way I can see to do it is to note down the artifact(s), deliver (or not) the changes and then manually update Worspace1 to the required merged value. This seems a very poor relation to configuration management after having worked with RTC and Rhapsody diffmerge for some time.
Thanks
Chris Noble

Accepted answer

permanent link
Paul Ellis (1.3k613) | answered Jul 21 '14, 12:34 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Chris,

I apologise for the delay with this reply, but I needed to confirm that this was a limitation of the beta. 

Your observed behaviour is indeed to be expected at present, so you have not missed any setting or performed anything incorrectly.  Alas, for now it is not possible to create a new version of an artifact which is the merged result of two changes to the same artifact/module.

If you do not select incoming changes to avoid conflicts in the first place, then you will have to select one set of changes or the other.

We greatly appreciate your time to run through the beta, so we are equally sorry for any confusion that this current limitation has caused.

Kind regards
Paul
Chris Noble selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Chris Noble commented Jul 22 '14, 5:30 a.m.

Hi Paul
OK, hopefully some merge functionality will come in the released version.
Thanks for your time and response
Chris

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.