It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Data integrity verification Mechanisms

diogo cruz (21812) | asked Jun 30 '14, 11:42 a.m.
Hi All,

Is there any data integrity check after sending and receiving files over the network (checkin/load operations) ?
In other words, how does RTC make sure that content is as supposed to be?

If so, what does RTC do when it fails? Does it retry the operation or abort? Does the user get notified?

Also, are all transfers over the network atomic? Ex: uploading 5 added/modified files into a single changeset

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 30 '14, 12:54 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I'll post this as a "comment" since I can only answer some of the questions.
There is a data integrity check (a hash code) when a file is received.   This hash code is also used by the client to see whether the content of a file has changed when its date stamp is modified.  I don't know is whether this hash code is also checked in the other direction (i.e., by the server when it receives new content from the client  ... I'm guessing "yes").  I don't know about the behavior when the check fails (it is either a silent retry, or it has never happened to me, since I've never received such a message).

WRT atomic transfer, a change set is transferred atomically to the server, unless the user selects the preference that requests incremental transfer.   In either case, the partial transfer work is never exposed to a user ... they either see an entire change set, or none of the change set, so the transfer appears atomic.

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.