It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problem while generating report

Lucelio Simas (812) | asked Jun 17 '14, 11:30 a.m.
RRC project is encountering problems generating a Supporting Requirements Specification using Rational Publishing Engine. When the report fails to complete we received the following error message:

CRRRS6517E The report generation request failed. Please verify the report settings. If this problem persists, contact an Administrator.

The same is present in RRC logs. We've tried this technote http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21636739, but it didn't help us to solve the issue. Thoughts anyone?

Comments
Christopher Fleischer commented Jun 17 '14, 1:46 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Lucelio,

Is the "Supporting Requirements Specification" report a custom report based off of the out of the box Requirements Specification report available in RRC via RRDG or was this a custom report designed in RPE?
In what context are you running the report? Within an artifact that you have open? From a module? From the Reports drop down in the menu?

Lucelio Simas commented Jun 17 '14, 2:40 p.m.

Thanks for answering, Christopher. It was designed in RPE. We are running the report from an artifacts view.

Regards,
Lucelio

My-An Nguyen commented Jun 17 '14, 3:55 p.m.

It is hard to know why the report fails without more details. I am familiar with that technote and it was only in response to a very specific error that was found in the logs after some investigation. It would certainly not be the only cause of a report failure.

- What version of RRC are you using?
- Does the artifact fail to print even when using one of the out-of-the-box reports? If so, then there may be a problem with the artifact and not the report.
But if the artifact only fails to print with your custom report, then there is something to fix or change in your report.
- Is there anything logged in the rrdg.log in response to a failed report generation?

Lucelio Simas commented Jun 18 '14, 2:00 p.m.

Thank you for the feedback. Here are the answers:

- What version of RRC are you using?
- Does the artifact fail to print even when using one of the out-of-the-box reports?
    - The report is based on 736 artifacts.  If we generate the OOTB Requirements Specification and Traceability reports, they generate without an error.  The custom report we are using runs correctly on all other projects in RRC.  This is the only project in which it fails.
- Is there anything logged in the rrdg.log in response to a failed report generation?
    - Yes, the following is logged:
 [Thread-130420] ERROR com.ibm.rational.rrdg  - CRRPE3011E Error in engine
Cannot retrieve data from https://CLM_ADDRESS/rm/publish/text?resourceURI=<Several Entries here> Server returned:
HTTP/1.1 414 Request-URI Too Large

My-An Nguyen commented Jun 30 '14, 2:43 p.m.

@chaoserene , Sorry, I didn't receive notification of your update to this forum post.

- So the OOTB Requirements Specification report succeeds with 736 artifacts in the same project, correct?
- When you say that the custom report runs correctly on all other projects in RRC, were you testing the custom report with the same amount of artifacts (i.e. ~700 artifacts)?
- From the error in the RRDG log, it seems that the custom report may be trying to pull in too many artifacts at the same time. When you wrote, "<Several Entries here>", can you give a more narrowed-down ballpart? As in, is it more like several hundred entries? A few dozen? Finally, If you were to run the same custom report in the same "problem" project, but on a smaller set of artifacts (e.g. 200), would it work?

In any case, I'm reminded of this limitation article where, if you specify too many artifacts, report generation may fail, so I'm wondering if that might be the case here:
https://jazz.net/library/article/1392#84248

Lucelio Simas commented Jul 07 '14, 1:30 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback, @My-An Nguyen, no problem! Answering your questions:

- 1st - Yes.
- 2nd - No, this is the largest project to date.
- 3rd - I put like that because the request URL was 11k characters! That's really big. I've read some doc on limits for URIs. We tried on this project generating for less artifacts (if I'm not mistaken 416) and it completed successfully. Thanks for sharing the doc!

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Accepted answer

permanent link
My-An Nguyen (2963) | answered Jul 11 '14, 1:51 p.m.
So, based on your latest comment above, it looks like your custom report is simply generating a request URL that was too large. When using your report with fewer artifacts (416 instead of 736), it works.

This is due to the limitation described here:
https://jazz.net/library/article/1392#84248

Given that our out-of-the-box report (Requirements Specification) can handle ~700 artifacts, maybe there may be a way to re-organize your custom template to make it work with more artifacts. Perhaps you can look at our report templates for inspiration? Otherwise, you might want to post a new question on how to make this work, but tag it with RPE and RRDG instead of rational-requirements-composer for specific help on creating report templates.
Lucelio Simas selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Lucelio Simas commented Jul 15 '14, 10:39 a.m.

Thanks for the feedback, My-An Nguyen, I also think that it's the issue with the URI limit. We have asked our technicians if they still want this report, otherwise we'll re-do it. One of our directors said that this will be fixed in version 5.0. Hopefully!

Thanks again,
Luc

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.