It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 5: what does the "online migration" do?

Luca Martinucci (1.0k397112) | asked Jun 11 '14, 6:50 a.m.
I am planning an upgrade from RTC 4.0.5 to RTC 5.0.0
I am interested in the new "online migration" procedure, because previous, offline migrations took hours to complete, resulting in an outage for RTC users.
I simulated this upgrade on a local environment, and I was surprised that, according to the RTC upgrade guide, after the online migration step, the usual offline migration step was still necessary.
Actually, in my test environment, it worked this way; first I performed an online migration, then I shut down the old server, I performed an offline migration and finally I started the new server.
So, I wonder what the online migration does, and what is its purpose.
Is it just a preparatory step that speeds the subsequent offline migration step?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Robert Wen (690412) | answered Jun 14 '14, 9:12 p.m.
 I attended the Innovate session where they talked about RTC 5.0 and, yes, they re-architected the SCM schema.  

There still would have been some downtime involved (as you saw), but now the offline migration is shorter.

Short answer: yes.

Luca Martinucci selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.