It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Cross project planning, Parent->Child work items not showing up.

Rogério Moreira (738) | asked May 30 '14, 6:34 a.m.
Good morning,

I'm new to the world of RTC and I'm in doubt about my "cross project planning" implementation, I've read https://jazz.net/library/article/1152 but things didn't go well :(

I created a Master Project Area which contains a work item called Project. This item is linked to stories (Contributes to/Track) to each of the Project Areas of the applications involved in the project.
From the Story of each project area, we create tasks, defects, etc. 

My doubt is, all subsequent work items created in the project areas need to have a "Contributes to/Track" relation. Because if the connection is only "Parent->Children", the work items will not appear in the plan view of the Master Project Area.
According to https://jazz.net/library/article/1152 the tasks in each of the project areas are children (but no reference if they also have "Contributes to/Track" relation), but in my case if they only have Parent/Child relation they don't appear in the view planning, 

I wanted to this so I could provide a quick way to the project manager to have an overview of all work items of each Project Area.

Can children work items appear on the Master Project plan view? Can i create a relation Parent->Children from different Project Areas?

Sorry for bothering and thank you :)

Rogério.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 30 '14, 7:01 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can have children on a cross project plan, but only those that are in the immediate scope of the plan (within its timeline and project/team area). You have to set the display to follow parent child.

You can only have one display at a time in a view, parent child or tracks. Parent child does not work across project areas, only tracks does.
Rogério Moreira selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.