It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Cross project plans and taskboard view

Marie Michelin (14317) | asked May 22 '18, 7:30 a.m.

Hello,

(Using RTC 6.0.2)
I'm trying to use a cross project plan between 2 project areas with a taskboard view and it is not working as I would like.

I followed the instructions on https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.0/com.ibm.team.apt.doc/topics/t_creating_cross_project_plan_web.html but I'm still missing something.

I have one project area in which I would like to track the global project progress. This global project is composed of several sub-projects. Some of them are managed in team areas in the same project area, and some of them in other project areas.

In my "master" project area, I created several feature work items planned for my top iteration.
In the team areas and the other project areas, we created work items that are linked with the previous one with a tracks link.

When I create my cross project plan for my top iteration, if I use the "project schedule" view, I see all the work items : the top ones and the sub-project ones.
But I prefer the taskboard view to do our progress meeting.

I created a taskboard view, and I can see all the top work items but the sub-project ones are not displayed.
If I modify the links between the work items, to put a parent/child relationship, I can see all the work items in the project area (the top ones and the sub-project ones) but not the work items in other project areas.

How can I make a cross project plan that displays all the work items (from the top project and the sub projects) in the taskboard view ?

Thanks for you help,
Regards,
Marie

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 22 '18, 8:31 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

As far as I can tell, the tracked work items are invisible in the taskboard and Kanban views.

If I remember correctly you can actually see only very few work item attributes in the cross project planning view for the tracked work items. The reason is that the work items are not living in the respository the plan lives in and the plan shows the liked work items and provides some aspects of them in some plan views.

For the Board display, these work items don't exist, I believe. I think what you want is not possible. You could create an enhancement request. I have seen similar requests, also to show the attributes for the remote items. Unfortunately there are concerns, especially with respect to performance.

Marie Michelin selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Marie Michelin commented May 22 '18, 9:12 a.m. | edited May 22 '18, 10:09 a.m.

Thanks Ralph for your quick answer.
I'll stop my searchs in the forum and try to find another way of doing.

As suggested, I created an Enhancement request : https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=459874

I hope I created it correctly.

Ralph Schoon commented May 22 '18, 10:14 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Please note, since the work items live in different project areas, you could see the tasks in the taskboard if you create a plan in the project area the tasks live in.

You can just not see the items together in a taskboard in one plan.

I think my explanation was somewhat incorrect, the limitation of the taskboard is that it only shows work items within the project area it is defined in. The cross project plan kind of shows some selected properties of the tracked item in the other project area/repository

Marie Michelin commented May 23 '18, 8:01 a.m.

Thanks Ralph.
I think I understood this limitation, and hope that one day we'll be able to get the whole view of a project, whatever the project area in which the work items were created.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.