It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Help needed with DM Rhapsody client extension

Joe Gariano (8813137) | asked May 05 '14, 6:52 p.m.
edited May 05 '14, 6:53 p.m.
The instructions at the following page tell me how to install the DM extension for the standard Rhapsody client:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rdmhelp/v4/topic/com.ibm.rcam.rhap.install.doc/topics/t_install_rhap_extension.html

Unfortunately, I'm unable to find the RhapsodyDM_All/disk directory or the launchpad.exe executable on the Windows work station where I've installed Rhapsody and the Design Manager client.

I was, however, able to install the the Rhapsody Design Manager client within Eclipse.  I've got my Rhapsody model open in the Eclipse client, and I'm ready to move it over to the actively managed DM project on the server.

The instructions at the following page tell me how to move a model over to the server:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rhaphlp/v8/topic/com.ibm.dm.rhap.client.doc/topics/t_dm_rhap_move_models.html

Unfortunately, those instructions are for the standard client (which I was unable to install).  I searched the Eclipse client but was unable to find the menu option to move the model over to the server.

So I need help on either one of the following two things (preferably both):
1) How do I install the design manager extension for the standard (non-eclipse) client?
2) From within Eclipse, how do I move my model over to the server?

Thanks,
Joe Gariano

Accepted answer

permanent link
Francois-xavier Panaget (58914) | answered May 06 '14, 9:20 a.m.
Hi Joe,

Regarding the question:
1) How do I install the design manager extension for the standard (non-eclipse) client?
From where did you download the Rational Rhapsody Design Manager Client Extension?
Was it from: https://jazz.net/downloads/design-management -> one of the versions -> "IBM Rational Rhapsody Design Manager Clients"?

If you do not see the launchpad.exe, it is not a problem.
Here are the steps you can follow to install the client extension:
  1. start IBM Installation Manager (you should have it installed since it should have been used to install the Rhapsody DM server)
  2. go to File -> Preferences->Repositories
  3. add a repository pointing to the location of the disk1/diskTag.inf where you unzip the Rhapsody-DM-Clients-4.0.x.zip
  4. (for example c:\temp\Rhapsody-DM-Clients-4.0.6\RhapsodyDM_Clients\disk1\diskTag.inf)
  5. click OK
  6. click on the "Install" option on the main IBM Installation Manager page.
  7. go through the installation steps which require you to specify where you have installed IBM Rational Rhapsody client.
This being said, I am not sure I fully understand what you did.
When you said you were able to install the Rhapsody Design Manager client extension on eclipse, are you sure it was the Rhapsody DM client extension and not only Rhapsody? 
From the eclipse Help > Install New Software, did you add the site pointing to <Rational Rhapsody installation path>\DesignManager\Eclipse?
If so it should mean that the DM client extension was installed.

Once the installation of the DM Client extension is done, in the Rhapsody standard client, you should see
  • the Design Manager option under the Tools menu.
  • the icon available to move to model to the DM server.
  • the option to open or create a new project on DM
Regarding the question:
2) From within Eclipse, how do I move my model over to the server?
I have not seen an option allowing you to move an existing project onto DM in the Rhapsody eclipse client. 

Regards,
François

Joe Gariano selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Joe Gariano commented May 06 '14, 10:27 a.m.

Thank you Francois.  After installing the DM client yesterday using the IBM installation manager, I went back to the installation instructions cited above, and after being unable to find the RhapsodyDM_All/disk1 directory, I assumed I was unable to install the extension into the standard client.  It wasn't until I read your response that I went back into the standard client and found the Design Manager menu with the move option there.  So I appear to be in good shape.

Thanks,
Joe

Francois-xavier Panaget commented May 06 '14, 11:22 a.m.

Hi Joe,
Thanks for letting us know. I am glad to see that it is in order now.
Regards,
François

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.