It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Question about Design Management data management modes

Joe Gariano (8813137) | asked May 02 '14, 12:40 p.m.
I'm learning Design Management (DM).  I'm using DM version 4.0.2.  I'm exploring the features of DM related to web UI creation/management of designs, versus Rhapsody client based creation/management of designs.  I've set up two DM projects with different data management options: one project is actively managed with Design Manager, and the other is managed externally using import definition. 

For the project managed actively with Design Manager, I'm able to create simple sketches in the web UI by associating it with the Documentation System Domain.  However, when I attempt to import a Rhapsody model in this project, the File > Import menu says that imports are disabled because the project is managed by the Design Management server.

For the project managed externally using import definition, I get the import prompt under File > Import, but I'm unable to associate the project with any domains and thereby unable to create sketches in the web UI.

As such, I'm lead to conclude that a DM project can either be configured to create design artifacts like sketches directly in the web UI, or to import a Rhapsody model that is created in the Rhapsody client, but not both.

Here are my questions:
  1. Is my conclusion above correct?  Or is there some way to configure a DM project where you can both access an externally managed Rhapsody and create DM sketches along with it?  The write-up about data management modes in the online help implies that the difference in data management modes is about SCM, so maybe I'm missing the bigger picture here.
  2. Assuming my conclusion is correct and you can have one or the other but not both, and given the fairly limited feature set in 4.0.2 related to the DM sketches, I imagine most people would want to choose the external import option for data management.  Are there plans in the future to extend the functionality of server managed projects beyond simple sketches (e.g. to have something akin to a web based Rhapsody UI)?

Thanks,

Joe Gariano

Accepted answer

permanent link
Francois-xavier Panaget (58914) | answered May 05 '14, 4:54 a.m.
Hi Joe,

Yes, you need to choose if you want to have your project area set to "Managed externally using import definition" or  "Actively managed with Design Manager" but both cannot be done at the same time.
You can stat with "Managed externally using import definition" and then switch to "Actively managed with Design Manager". Once you have set the project to be "Actively managed with Design Manager", you cannot change it anymore.

When your are using "Managed externally using import definition", the project area is mostly read only. You cannot modify nor add model resources such as sketches to it using the Web (UI) client. You can mark up and comment the shared resources. This can be done with the Web Client or the Rhapsody thick client (Rhapsody Design Manager Client Extension (see below for link)).
If you made changes to your model(s), then you need to import it again into DM.

When using  "Actively managed with Design Manager", the import is disabled as you can create your model directly in DM using the Rhapsody thick client (Rhapsody Design Manager Client Extension).
The Rhapsody Design Manager Client Extension extends Rhapsody to allow you to connect to the Rhapsody Design Management Server to collaborate on your model design.
With the Rhapsody DM client extension, you can:
  •  Create a new model.
  •  Move an existing model from Rational Rhapsody onto the Design Management Server.
  •  Edit an existing model.
  •  Provide comments on an existing model.
  •  Create OSLC Links on existing model elements.
  •  Manage a review.
  •  Perform a contextual search for model elements on the Design Management Server.
Check the following links for further details:
Configuring the Rational Rhapsody Design Manager Client Extension
Installing Rational Rhapsody components
Finally, there is a tutorial/self paced training providing an overview of the above.: Essentials of design management with Rational Rhapsody Design Manager (for example: Module 2: Sharing models).

I hope this will clarifies things.

Regards,
François.

Joe Gariano selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Joe Gariano commented May 05 '14, 10:18 a.m.

Thanks Francois.  Do you need Rhapsody 8.0 or greater to get Design Manager Client Extension?  I ask because the Rhapsody version I currently have installed is 7.6.1.1.

Francois-xavier Panaget commented May 05 '14, 11:09 a.m.

Hi Joe,

Yes, that is correct. It will not work with 7.6.x. You indeed need Rhapsody 8.0 or greater to work with Rhapsody DM 4.0.
The ideal is to be at the same x level (eg: Rhapsody 8.0.x with the DM 4.0.x) although from the system requirements does not seem to be not enforced.

Regards,
François

Joe Gariano commented May 05 '14, 11:19 a.m.

Ok, I have access to 8.0.5.  I will install that give the rich client a try with my actively managed project.  Thanks.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.