It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Buildforge 8.0.0.1 - Max Threads cannot be changed after project has been run

dennis cook (134) | asked Apr 17 '14, 2:33 p.m.
In a new Project, set the Max Threads initially set = 20. 

After the first test run, moving the mouse over the "Max Threads" selector, mouse changes to "No Symbol" (cirlce & diagonal line)

Is there a new trick for adjusting the "Max Threads" in a project?

3 answers

permanent link
Ryan Ruscett (1.0k413) | answered Apr 17 '14, 2:39 p.m.
 Hey Dennis. 

Nope, no trick. This looks like a defect. I would open a PMR and notify support so that they can go through the process. If this is crucial functionality there is always a way to change it within the database, but i will let support guide you through what may be necessary. 

Thanks!

permanent link
dennis cook (134) | answered Apr 25 '14, 11:39 a.m.
It seems IBM has disabled the "Max Threads"  in Buildforge 8.

https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-build-forge/releases/8.0?p=releasenotes

"The Java MJC Project property "Max Threads" does not work because the value of the Max Threads property is deprecated in MJC. Due to limited resources used for parallel step processing in MJC, the "Max Threads" limitation has little value for MJC execution."

I think this seriously devalues the tool.   The 200 parallel builds will just all get dumped on the servers in one whack instead of the old-fashioned thread limiting to 20 or 30 concurrent builds...

permanent link
Robert haig (1.0k16) | answered May 02 '14, 3:42 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Dennis,

I'm with you.  Max Threads is as much a flow control as it is a resource limit.

Submit this as a regression.  I'll support your position.

As far as limiting concurrent builds, there is still the run queue size setting.  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.