It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

It it possible to add a log file to an existing build result using logPublisher task?

Adam Wereszczynski (92811932) | asked Apr 02 '14, 5:04 a.m.
edited Apr 02 '14, 5:12 a.m.
Hello,

We are using JBE and logs are almost always published automatically to the build results.
Occasionally, the logs are not published (in spite of build finishing successfully).
I found the build log in TeamConcertBuild\buildsystem\buildengine\eclipse directory.

I cannot attach this log to the build result, though. The logs tab is missing.
Is there any way to attach the file or unlock logs tab to a specific build result?
Can it be done by using a dummy build.xml with only logpublisher task with proper parameters?
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m6/topic/com.ibm.team.build.doc/topics/r_logpublisher.html.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Karthik Krishnan (8825118163) | answered Apr 02 '14, 10:14 a.m.
We have seen this kind of behavior with RTC 4.0.2 

For us at least this was sporadic. Opening a PMR with IBM would help

We use "LogPublisher" for attaching logs to the "Logs" tab. Just that in our case the log tab is visible
Adam Wereszczynski selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Adam Wereszczynski commented Apr 02 '14, 11:55 a.m.

Thanks, problem is sporadic here as well.
We'll investigate to find the root cause, but I wonder if it's possible to fix the existing build results using the ANT task.

Karthik Krishnan commented Apr 03 '14, 5:09 a.m.

Another point could be enabling "verbose" mode on your JBE and check the log output. We tried all these but in vain as the problem was sporadic

Nick Edgar commented Apr 03 '14, 6:21 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

If you see this again, check the contents of the build-*.log file (in the current working directory of JBE) for any details about the failure.  Also check the console output from JBE if you can (e.g. redirect it to a file when starting JBE).  

It sounds like when the main phase of the build (e.g. running Ant/Maven) was completed, the RTC server was unresponsive and so couldn't publish the log, or close off the build, or both.  We've just determined that it's possible for the build to get marked as completed with OK (not ERROR) status if it's just the log publishing that failed, but not the build completion, i.e. leaving the build's status as a "false positive".  See Build can complete as green if log publishing fails, even if main part of build failed (310686) for details.

Nick Edgar commented Apr 03 '14, 6:25 p.m. | edited Apr 03 '14, 6:26 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

But to confirm Karthik's answer, logPublisher and the other publishing tasks can run at any time. There are no constraints on the state of the build lifecycle.  The start/completeBuildActivity tasks can only run when the build is in progress though.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.