It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a way to create a RRC template without it being an artifact (or be able to hide it from views)?

Michael Haun (4921924) | asked Jan 30 '14, 3:00 p.m.
Possibly I am just not doing this the best way but I am creating an artifact in RRC (e.g. a "Feature" artifact) and I then create a template based on this artifact.  Now this artifact template shows as a Feature artifact and will show in my queries for Features, etc.  Is there a way to create a template without it being an artifact?  Or is there a way to hide this artifact so it isn't shown in a view?

Please let me know if this is not clear and I will try to re-phrase.

Thanks.

Comments
Michael Haun commented Jan 30 '14, 3:01 p.m.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Mike Jaworski (1.4k6) | answered Jan 30 '14, 4:25 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hi Michael,

You will definitely want to test this on your own with a dummy artifact before you take my word for truth, but I tried this on RRC 4.0.4, and after I created an Artifact Template I was able to delete the artifact from which the template was made. Here are the steps I took:

1) Create an artifact named "Foo" with the desired features,
2) Navigate to Manage Project Properties -> Templates -> Artifact Templates, and click "New Template"
3) Name the template "Bar", select the artifact "Foo" in the Browse bar, and click "Create"
4) Go back to the grid view, and delete the artifact "Foo"
5) Create a new artifact, and use the template "Bar"

The new artifact should be created without problems.

Hope this is helpful!
Mike Jaworski
Michael Haun selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Michael Haun commented Jan 30 '14, 4:31 p.m.

Thanks Mike.  This worked.  It makes updating the template a bit trickier as you have to create a new artifact with the changes you want but otherwise this works.  It would be nice if the template was treated as a unique entity (not an artifact) you can edit/update.  Thanks again.

Mike Jaworski commented Jan 30 '14, 4:37 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

That's an interesting thought, and it might not be a bad idea to submit this as an enhancement request. You can either do this through a jazz.net "Enhancement" work item (Filed Against: RRC -> Server) or by filing an RFE (Request for Enhancement) through Rational Support. I'm not sure how intense the RFE process is, but I think you have a better chance of getting stronger attention to your request through the Support route.

Stef van Dijk commented Jan 31 '14, 12:20 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I think the point here is that the original artifact from which you created the template is not the template itself (hence why you are able to delete it while the template still exists). In other words, your artifact did not become a template, it was used to create a template. You're not actually seeing the template, but the artifact from which it was initially created.
To verify that, if after creating the template, you edited that artifact still shown in the view, and then created another artifact from the template, it would look as it did before, not as how you have changed it, because you changed an artifact, not the actual template.
So to change the template, you would, after making your changes, have to create the template again. Not much different than if you had deleted the original artifact, and thus had to create a new one from the template first, modify it and create the template from that.
Make sense?

3 other answers

permanent link
Luiz Almeida (23015489) | answered Jan 31 '14, 5:42 a.m.
Michael Haun,

To solve this problem i created a template with name "Template_UseCase", for example. In my queries of use case artifacts I included the criteria to avoid querying artifacts that begins with "Template_".
I agree that is not a good solution and the idea of submit an enhancement is much better, but it was the way I found.

permanent link
Luiz Almeida (23015489) | answered Jan 31 '14, 5:46 a.m.
On second thought, we could create an attribute "Is Template" of type boolean and define what artifact is template or not. Than we could use this attribute in queries.

permanent link
Michael Haun (4921924) | answered Jan 31 '14, 10:24 a.m.
Thanks Mike and Luiz.  These are good suggestions for working with the current methodology but I went ahead and opened an enhancement as I think having a template be a unique entity (and not an artifact) is ideal.

Enhancement:
https://jazz.net/jazz03/web/projects/Requirements%20Management#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=84597

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.