It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Cannot create items in RRC Artifacts

Kegham Anbarjian (231711) | asked Sep 04 '13, 5:50 p.m.
edited Sep 06 '13, 12:23 a.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
Hello,

We have Jazz Server v4.0.3 installed on Windows Server 2008 R2. We are trying to create a New Feature work item in Requirements Manager. We are unable to, as the button to create a New Feature is greyed out. We followed the suggestions in postings related to this issue on jazz.net, no luck thus far. We are using the out-of-the-box default template for Rational Requirements Composer, i.e. the RRSTemplateID. I verified the account Permissions and assigned the Rational Requirements Composer - Analyst license to the user account, which grants full Read/Write privileges.

I am running out of options with respect to diagnosing the problem. Has anyone encountered a similar situation? I am wondering if I am missing anything with respect to configuration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Accepted answer

permanent link
Scott Schmitz (3634) | answered Sep 11 '13, 8:50 a.m.
This issue was resolved by identifying that the Jazz Team Server was hosting an RRC 3.0.1 license rather than the required 4.0 license. 
Kegham Anbarjian selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Daniel Moul commented Sep 11 '13, 8:59 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Glad you got to root cause, Scott.  Best wishes. 

Kegham Anbarjian commented Sep 11 '13, 7:32 p.m.

Scott,
Thank you for helping out and for identifying the cause. We are placing a request for version 4.0 of the RRC license key.

5 other answers

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered Sep 04 '13, 6:34 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Kevin,

You need to add the user as a member of the project area in order to create artifacts.  You can do this by going to jts/admin -> Manage Project Areas -> and adding your users as authors of the project area so that they can create artifacts.  Hope it helps,

Comments
Kegham Anbarjian commented Sep 05 '13, 2:29 p.m.

Hi Ben,

Thank you for the reply. I verified that the user is added as an author, as well as Administrator, so the role is not the issue.

For some very odd reason, I logged in today by using Firefox browser, and I am able to create a feature.  I cannot do the same in IE version 8. I wonder if this has to do with a browser setting. Cache and cookies are cleared.

Thanks,
Kevin

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Sep 04 '13, 7:47 p.m.
As as administrator (also with Analyst license), when you go to "Manage project properties" do you see a number of artifact types defined?  Feature should be one of them.

Comments
Kegham Anbarjian commented Sep 05 '13, 2:43 p.m.

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the reply. I can see Feature as one of the artifact types, even though the 'Create Copy" and 'Delete' functions are disabled (greyed out).

I am open to considering all possibilities for this to happen. I just looked up the browser requirements on https://jazz.net/library/article/811 , CLM 4.0.3 supports IE 8 and Firefox. Client OS platforms include Windows XP and Windows 7, even though this should be transparent to CLM/RRC.

Thanks,
Kevin

Daniel Moul commented Sep 05 '13, 3:33 p.m.

I am trying to understand what you did with RRSTemplateID.  Did you do something manual with the process template?

Unlike RTC and RQM, you don't deal with process templates for the RM application. Instead you select a project template when creating the project -- or create your own types and folder structure manually.

Kegham Anbarjian commented Sep 06 '13, 11:22 a.m.

Hi Daniel,

I didn't do anything with the RRSTemplate ID. We are using it as-is. I noticed the difference in the templates and the process which you are referring to.

Thanks,
Kevin

permanent link
Kegham Anbarjian (231711) | answered Sep 06 '13, 10:56 a.m.
All,

A follow-up update:

In our case, the problem was resolved as follows:
a) Grant to the user profile the client access license key ' '
b) Clear the cache, offline temp files, cookies, and Active logins in the browser; close the browser then re-open.

It's somewhat odd to think that there ought to be a dependency with the RQM license key. What if someone doesn't install the RQM app, would this license still be required to enable certain functionality in RRC?

Thanks to everybody who responded and provided tips and suggestions.

Thanks,
Kevin

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Sep 06 '13, 11:37 a.m.
Glad you now can move pass this problem.

I wonder if (b) is what really solved this.  The RRC Analyst license provides a superset of the RM capabilities in the RQM license.

Now, if you originally assigned a RRC Contributor license, then the fact that the user could not create new artifacts would be a sign that the system was working as designed.

Comments
Kegham Anbarjian commented Sep 06 '13, 3:08 p.m.

Hi Daniel,

We are using the RRC - Analyst license. It has been my understanding that this license grants full Read and Write privileges. I just tried your suggestion by removing RQM -Contributor license and clearing the cache and cookies. The functionality to create a Feature, Collection, and Module gets disabled again. Once I re-assign RQM - Connector, the functionality is restored.

Thanks,
Kevin

Daniel Moul commented Sep 08 '13, 9:12 p.m.

That's very strange. The only reason I can think of is perhaps the RRC Analyst license is for an older release of the RM application? But if this were the case, I would expect the Jazz Team Server License UI to inform you of that. I think Robin's suggestion that you contact tech support is a good one.

Kegham Anbarjian commented Sep 11 '13, 7:54 p.m.

Daniel,

You were right. An older RRC license key version 3.0.1 was assigned, which explains the problem we had. I don't remember seeing a warning from the License UI on the version mismatch.

Thanks,
Kevin

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Sep 07 '13, 3:40 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
When actions are greyed out it means that the permission request from the web client to the server is either not returning a response within 2 minutes or the user does not have permission to perform the request.

When using IE8, do you know if the actions are very slow? A response more than 2 minutes can be a problem.

In regards to the licensing, if somebody is assigned a RRC Analyst license and they  are added to the project and have author role then there should be no permission issue to create an artifact unless team areas are being used and the folder where the artifact is being created they are not a member of the team area assigned to that folder, artifacts and all sub-folders.

Are you using team areas?

If they have RRC Analyst license there should be no need for any other license. So it is very strange that the RQM connector license is needed to create features in the RRC web client, with IE8.

You mention that is works with Firefox. Which version did you use?

In regards to the RRC Analyst license, are you using Node-locked, Floating or Token versions?  Also which other CLM licenses are assigned? If you have multiple floating licenses assigned there is no guarantee which license is returned first, so I am wondering if there is some ordering problem with the license permissions.

Finally have you contacted Tech Support.

Comments
Kegham Anbarjian commented Sep 11 '13, 7:49 p.m.

Hi Robin,

Thank you for pitching in and for your suggestions. We have set up project team areas, with members added in the each area, and Author permissions assigned to the affected accounts. It was indeed a strange behavior, and for obvious cause (see note below for resolution).

We are using RRC - Analyst Floating, and RTC Developer Floating. You are raising an interesting point in regards to which of the licenses is being returned first. I am thinking that perhaps this may have an impact if different license types for the same app (say, RRC) are assigned to a user profile.

IE8 works but with a slow response. Firefox is recommended for better performance. We have a mix of Firefox versions on different workstations, ranging from v17.0.8 to v23.0.1.

Kevin

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.