It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

how does RAM store artifact versions across different asset versions?

Chris Ratcliffe (2633330) | asked Jan 24 '14, 3:00 p.m.
Lets say I have an asset called asset1, and it has 3 artifacts within it:

1. a.zip  -> binary zip file
2. b.txt -> simply text file
3. c.exe -> binary executable

Then I create a new version, and I make the following changes to the artifacts list:

1. Add a new version of a.zip .
2. Add a new version of b.txt.
3. Add a new file called d.txt.

In the repository, how would this change look?  I assume the following:

1. There would be two full versions of a.zip, one each associated with the two versions of the asset1 asset.
2. There would be a full version of b.txt associated with the first version of asset1, and then some sort of delta identifier for it that would be stored with the second version of the asset.
3. There would be one version of c.exe associated with both versions of the asset.
4. There would be one version of d.txt associated with the second version of the asset.

Can someone confirm that this is how RAM does its backend storage.

Thanks.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered Jan 27 '14, 11:13 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Each asset is stored as a complete individual copy. There are no shared artifacts. So when you create a new version based on the previous version the entire set of artifacts are copied into the new version. So any changes to one version are not seen in the other version.
Chris Ratcliffe selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Chris Ratcliffe commented Jan 27 '14, 11:56 a.m.

Thank you for the answer.  I was hoping from a space efficiency perspective that it might not duplicate files across versions where there was no delta, and only create individual entries when and if they diverged.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.