It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can you inherit role and permissions from a master project area?

Alex Lindley (13146) | asked Jan 07 '14, 11:47 a.m.

I am using RTC 4.0.1 and I have a master (parent) project area which has its process configuration inherited by a large number of child project areas.

The master project area has a number of different roles defined which are all inherited by the child PAs eg..

workflow_browse

workflow_edit

workflow_edit_2

administrators

As part of the administration team we have the task of supporting the many users in each project area and manipulating their work items with the certain privileged permissions we have assigned ourselves via the 'administrators' role.

Currently when our support is required we must find the associated project area and add ourselves as a member and grant the 'administrators' role in order to perform any tasks on the work items associated to that project area. This is very frustrating when having to support hundreds of different project areas! 

If I have my 'administrators' role assigned in the master project area, is there anyway to have this inherited or looked up by the work item workflow action before failing with the "permission denied" error?

Thanks, Alex

One answer

permanent link
Stephanie Bagot (2.1k1513) | answered Jan 07 '14, 3:41 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The following article details what is inherited or not when using process sharing:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m5/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.jazz.platform.doc/topics/c_sharing_project_area_process_web.html&scope=null

Note that permissions and roles are inherited, but members are not. Meaning unfortunately, you need to be apart of the project area to complete any tasks required.

Comments
Alex Lindley commented Jan 08 '14, 11:43 a.m.

Hi Stephanie, thanks for your response.

Is there any concept of "global" administration of an RTC instance which would be a user who has permissions to perform any action they like to any project area?

As I administer the RTC instance it seems odd that I have to grant myself access to individual project areas in order to administrate them.

Thanks.

Stephanie Bagot commented Jan 08 '14, 12:23 p.m.

You would need to have a JazzAdmin repository permission (this is the one that is selected from your user profile).

Jared Burns commented Jan 08 '14, 5:28 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Alex, the answer to this followup question is no.

You need to be granted some role in all project areas in order to be able to perform any action (e.g. change a workitem or deliver source code). Being a JazzAdmin won't allow you to do these things.

Stephanie Bagot commented Jan 08 '14, 5:39 p.m. | edited Jan 08 '14, 5:39 p.m.

@jburns - As a JazzAdmin (4.0.4), I can create a work item and edit in a project are where I am not a member, nor a project administrator. I can also update work items other users have created. I do have a Developer CAL.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.