It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RM authentication issue using RPE

Joe Gariano (8813137) | asked Jan 06 '14, 6:31 p.m.
My company is currently using CLM 4.0.2.  We recently copied an RM project to a new server.

I have two RPE templates that query RM.  RPE template #1 takes a data source URL to a single rich text item and prints it out.  RPE template #2 takes a data source URL to a set of rich text items, loops through the list one-by-one and dynamically reconfigures another data source to print each rich text item out.

When running RPE template #1 against the project on the original server, I simply provide the data source URL and my login credentials via the .dsx file, and the RPE script runs fine.  However, when running template #1 against the project on the new server, in addition to providing the data source URL and my login credentials in the .dsx file, I also need to add "OAuth" to the authentication field for the data source.  If I don't add "OAuth", the project running on the new server rejects RPE's attempt from doing its thing.

When running RPE template #2 against the project on the original server, I simply provide the data source URL and my login credentials for the list of items via the .dsx file, and the RPE script runs fine.  However, when running template #2 against the project on the new server, I need to add "OAuth" to the data source for the list of items in the .dsx file, and I also need to add my login credentials and "OAuth" for the data source that will be dynamically reconfigured (whereas when running it against the original server, I could just leave that blank).

So it appears there is something different in the configuration of the RM project on the new server vs. the original server -- something related to authentication.  Note that I can log in just fine to either project as a user via Firefox; the authentication differences are only show up when RPE comes into the picture.

Does this sound familiar?  Can someone suggest a configuration setting for the project on the new server that will enable it to accept authentication requests from RPE like the project on the original server?  The person who installed the tool on the new server and copied over the project is at a loss as to what that setting might be.

Thanks.

One answer

permanent link
Charlie Seo (22127) | answered Jan 12 '14, 6:50 p.m.
From my understanding, RPE authentication will test each auth type if OAuth is not selected. So Oauth would be a better option in terms of performance. My guess for this would be a new server should have a new FQDN and the existing template should be created using the previouse server url as data source. This might cause the symptome here? In other words, using OAuth you can get a token to be able to access resources in a new server while normal form type authentication doesn't. I guess if the symptom is consistent with what I mention here, it would be worthy while to log a ticke to rational support.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.